Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
On another site, a bunch of us created new songs in the style of Gary Numan as sort of a tribute. Then we published the album on Bandcamp and donated any proceeds to charity (https://therepliconproject.bandcamp.com/releases ). Some amazing songs came out of the project. It would be interesting to pick an artist (Bowie was previously mentioned) and have everyone create a song (or collaborate to create a song). Winners could be selected by "Most True to The Artist" and best overall song. We could then pick a charity and publish the album. The Replicon Project got some decent press at the time and did produce some donations. Could be a good win-win for Pro-Collabs and those participating... and be a fun project as well.
#2297 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 6:25 pm
It's great that the challenges are back. I have enjoyed listening to them in the past. My favorite was Halloween! :-)

I agree with Andrew on both points. Teams will form but if someone wants to go it alone that should be allowed.

I'd like to see more generic challenges than in the past to get members involved. Maybe run them less often too?
Maybe a songwriting challenge where participants choose from three supplied song titles to make a song about?
That would provide what most here want and does not exclude any genres. Maybe run it just two times a year?
Shannon could do a Mariah Carey style, Vic a Hard Rock, Xan a Bowie, etc. You could even do an instrumental!

Just to add... I would love to be the one to supply the first three song titles for you to create songs about! ;-)
#2298 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 6:37 pm
Don has good point. The Replicon Project (not to be confused with The Red Project ;)) grew from an idea which was not managed or run by that site. It was a successful 'challenge' because it was a good idea with a cause. Had it made any money, proceeds where to go to charity. Perhaps the idea of charity will get folks to join too. Not sure about how,why or what but just some food for thought. For instance if it was a Bowie challenge and we created an LP, perhaps proceeds (if any) go to his favorite charity - Keep a Child Alive
#2299 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 8:37 pm
Two points I'd like to make are that it should be a challenge and not a contest where one is judged. I also don't think it should have to be excluding singular efforts, the emphasis should be on the challenge and getting people to participate. Teams may forge because of this at a later stage but enforcing that at the beginning will most likely see people pull back.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Mon 01 May, 2017

Great points Andrew. A challenge where everyone could be inspired by and support the efforts of everyone else without having to make a comparison would certainly be a more positive environment. That said, if we ever did have another competition, I wouldn't mind losing - again. Hehe... ;)
#2300 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 11:05 pm
On another site, a bunch of us created new songs in the style of Gary Numan as sort of a tribute. Then we published the album on Bandcamp and donated any proceeds to charity (https://therepliconproject.bandcamp.com/releases ). Some amazing songs came out of the project. It would be interesting to pick an artist (Bowie was previously mentioned) and have everyone create a song (or collaborate to create a song). Winners could be selected by "Most True to The Artist" and best overall song. We could then pick a charity and publish the album. The Replicon Project got some decent press at the time and did produce some donations. Could be a good win-win for Pro-Collabs and those participating... and be a fun project as well.

Originally posted by DonWeismantel on Mon 01 May, 2017

I have to admit, the Gary Numan tribute was pretty cool even though my own efforts ended up on the cutting floor. Oh well, it wasn't the first time I've been rejected for missing the mark and I'm sure it won't be the last time either. Accepting a challenge by making the effort to collaborate is always an opportunity to learn and grow - even if the take away is learning what not to do. :)
#2301 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 11:14 pm
I have to admit, the Gary Numan tribute was pretty cool even though my own efforts ended up on the cutting floor. Oh well, it wasn't the first time I've been rejected for missing the mark and I'm sure it won't be the last time either. Accepting a challenge by making the effort to collaborate is always an opportunity to learn and grow - even if the take away is learning what not to do. :)

Originally posted by Roo on Mon 01 May, 2017

Ryan, I can't even imagine you being rejected for missing the mark (ever)! I had no idea that any songs were not included. I listen to songs from back then and cringe at how bad I was at mixing (still not great... but much improved anyway). I bet you would nail crooning a Bowie styled song!
#2302 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 1:14 am
Great points Andrew. A challenge where everyone could be inspired by and support the efforts of everyone else without having to make a comparison would certainly be a more positive environment. That said, if we ever did have another competition, I wouldn't mind losing - again. Hehe... ;)

Originally posted by Roo on Mon 01 May, 2017

Says he sipping from the green goblet :)
#2303 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 1:44 am
Here's a challenge. Pick your favorite genre & try to bring back people from that genre who haven't been here in a while, & try to write a song with them. Obviously, mine would be Christian, & believe me, I have been trying! But I did it with the thought of just getting them back, not trying to actually write or perform a new song with them.
#2304 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 1:23 pm
Says he sipping from the green goblet :)

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Tue 02 May, 2017

Ahhhh, the fabled green goblet :)
#2305 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 2:17 pm
Thanks for another cool thought Shannon. You should connect with Tpistilli (Tony) I'm pretty sure he's in that space :)
#2306 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 2:20 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?Page 3 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up