Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
Hey Procollabers,

I thought I would dip my toe in and test the water to see if there was any appetite for a bit of a competition.

Those who have been here a while may remember we used to have regular Procollab Challenges, there were some great themes from a Halloween to a Video Sync challenge, and all of the different competitions resulted in some brilliant music being produced, check out these great tracks. (Yeah, I know I'm on one of them, but there's nothing like a bit of unashamed self promotion!)

https://www.procollabs.com/completed/230

https://www.procollabs.com/completed/228

While quite a few of us got involved at the beginning, it began to fall away a bit after a while, and not so many collaborators got involved, which unfortunately resulted in them being put on hold for a while.

Well the good news is, I am going to restart them, but only if you want to get involved. They will pretty much be the same sort of structure as before, so there would be no solo efforts, you would have to work with other members, and you can only take part in one team. I haven't decided exactly how it will work as firstly I want to know who is interested.

There are now 314+ active members and if you include Listener accounts there are 683 of us. So what I want to know is, who would be up for it?

As well as letting me know if you like the idea of a competition, I’m also interested to know the sort of theme that would inspire you to get involved. So, for example: write and record a Love Song, a Synth based dance track, or a serious rock out number.

Come on, let me know what will do it for you, and if you aren’t interested, let me know why, maybe it’s because you really just want to do your own thing, which is 100% absolutely fine by us. If you’d rather not respond to the forum post, just message me at "Vuya".

We’ve got some great ideas for prizes, which we will put up if we can get enough of you to participate. If only 10% of us got involved that would still be 34 collaborators, which is potentially 8 different entries. Now that would be great and definitely worthwhile.

So, all your comments, whether serious, funny, sarcastic or just plain mad are welcome (I may regret saying that……)

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Vuya
#2277 Posted Sat 29 Apr, 2017 4:58 pm
Hey Procollabers, I thought I would dip my toe in and test the water to see if there was any appetite for a bit of a competition. Those who have been here a while may remember we used to have regular Procollab Challenges, there were some great themes from a Halloween to a Video Sync challenge, and all of the different competitions resulted in some brilliant music being produced, check out these great tracks. (Yeah, I know I'm on one of them, but there's nothing like a bit of unashamed self promotion!) https://www.procollabs.com/completed/230 https://www.procollabs.com/completed/228 While quite a few of us got involved at the beginning, it began to fall away a bit after a while, and not so many collaborators got involved, which unfortunately resulted in them being put on hold for a while. Well the good news is, I am going to restart them, but only if you want to get involved. They will pretty much be the same sort of structure as before, so there would be no solo efforts, you would have to work with other members, and you can only take part in one team. I haven't decided exactly how it will work as firstly I want to know who is interested. There are now 314+ active members and if you include Listener accounts there are 683 of us. So what I want to know is, who would be up for it? As well as letting me know if you like the idea of a competition, I’m also interested to know the sort of theme that would inspire you to get involved. So, for example: write and record a Love Song, a Synth based dance track, or a serious rock out number. Come on, let me know what will do it for you, and if you aren’t interested, let me know why, maybe it’s because you really just want to do your own thing, which is 100% absolutely fine by us. If you’d rather not respond to the forum post, just message me at "Vuya". We’ve got some great ideas for prizes, which we will put up if we can get enough of you to participate. If only 10% of us got involved that would still be 34 collaborators, which is potentially 8 different entries. Now that would be great and definitely worthwhile. So, all your comments, whether serious, funny, sarcastic or just plain mad are welcome (I may regret saying that……) Looking forward to hearing from you all. Vuya

Originally posted by Vuya on Sat 29 Apr, 2017

Yay!!! This is awesome, I like the idea that members can suggest theme ideas. :)
#2278 Posted Sat 29 Apr, 2017 5:40 pm
The only thing we all have in common is that we all love music. So what if we did a challenge where each group chose a decade & tried to write & perform a song for that decade?
Mariah Carey, anyone?
Michael Jackson?
Petra?
Stephen Curtis Chapman, Twila Paris, Michael W. Smith?
Aerosmith? Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers?

Hey, I was a teenager once :)
#2279 Posted Sat 29 Apr, 2017 6:56 pm
Great idea Shannon, thanks - and that pretty much sums up what we all have in common: "we all love music".

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that list of artists, if I could get within a fraction of writing something as good as Michael Jackson or even Aerosmith I'd be over the moon.

Haha, yeah I know the feeling, now I just embarrass my teenagers :))
#2280 Posted Sun 30 Apr, 2017 3:46 am
I'm up for a challenge. Looking for some crazy sort of hard rock challenge though. Do something cool. Post a list of 20 random words. Song title must be composed of at least 3 of those words. These words must be prevalent in the song (perhaps in the chorus). Make it so you can use any form of the word and make it 10 verbs and 10 nouns. This would give folks the flexibility to participate. It would be sort of like a food challenge (think "Chopped") where you are given some ingredients to work with but the creativity is up to you.
#2281 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 9:53 am
I'm up for a challenge. Looking for some crazy sort of hard rock challenge though. Do something cool. Post a list of 20 random words. Song title must be composed of at least 3 of those words. These words must be prevalent in the song (perhaps in the chorus). Make it so you can use any form of the word and make it 10 verbs and 10 nouns. This would give folks the flexibility to participate. It would be sort of like a food challenge (think "Chopped") where you are given some ingredients to work with but the creativity is up to you.

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Mon 01 May, 2017

Great idea, that sounds like it can be a lot of fun! :)
#2282 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 10:32 am
Yes, I really like that too....... I seem to recall a story that David Bowie wrote some of his lyrics by writing some finished paragraphs, then cutting up the text and rearranging it, to create new mixed sentences/lyrics.
#2283 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 11:18 am
That's the Cut-up technique. If this challenge becomes reality, maybe you should give everyone some paragraphs and we all have to use that technique. That would be cool. A Bowie-esq challenge would be cool in itself (being a huge Bowie fan)
#2284 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 11:41 am
A Bowie-esq challenge is a great idea... where everybody can find a spot... (I'm talking for myself, he)
#2285 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 11:59 am
I really like this approach, and it offers so much especially as he was so brilliantly diverse and innovative.

I am a huge fan as well and was lucky enough to see him play live a few times.
#2286 Posted Mon 01 May, 2017 12:05 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?Page 1 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up