Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > In the Style of - Challenge 2016

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3
For this challenge we wanted to switch things up a bit by having an ‘In the Style of' challenge, which basically means that you will be trying your best to capture the essence of a certain artist/band.

This challenge is probably the trickiest challenge we’ve had thus far. It requires one to be very disciplined and to focus intently on achieving a specific sound, but without copying.

Project Brief
Produce an original song in the signature style of one of the artists listed below:

1. The Beatles
2. The Police
3. Blonde/ Debbie Harry
4. Santana
5. Prince
6. Alice in Chains
7. Maroon 5
8. Alanis Morissette
9. Taylor Swift
10. Sara Bareilles

Length: Full length
Genre: Any - open to both vocals and instrumental music
Mood: Any
Tempo: Any
Deadline: Thursday, September 1st

How to Enter

To enter the challenge, create a project and invite other members to collaborate. For newer members, don’t forget to check out our tutorial on “Starting a Project” - https://www.procollabs.com/tutorials/starting_a_project

Then, post in this forum the title of your song, artist of choice, and the names of your team members.

You must publish your completed song into the Music Library no later than midnight, Thursday, September 1st, 2016 (EST).

All entries will need to meet the project brief stated above to be eligible for entry into the challenge.

The Challenge Rules

* The song must adhere to the specified project brief (see above)
* The song must be written and performed as a collaboration with no less than two members
* Only one entry per team is allowed. And, with the exception of audio engineers, a member can only collaborate in one team
* Any member can enter. Moderators and the like sadly cannot
* Your song must be original, 100% written, recorded, and produced by the team
* Your cover art can be created by you or a team member – or can be a Creative Commons image sourced from a non-member - please make sure you give proper credit to the artist/photographer in the project’s credit section.

Judging and Winning

Entries will be judged based on how much they sound-like your comparison artist. Think lyrics, melody, harmony, arrangement, production.. does it have the artists signature sound?

The winning team will be gifted 10 ProCollabs credits which can be used on the site for membership renewal, space, and other premium add-ons! Second place will receive 1 ProCollabs credit each. Everyone who enters will receive a stunning ProCollabs Grammy for their profile! And, as usual, bragging rights have the most value :)

Reminder: There is no need to refer to the challenge in your song’s title or description. Complete the project’s metadata as you usually would for presentation in the datasheet. When closing the project, this information should be checked by all collaborators. Projects that refer to the challenge will lose a mark!

Please remember, this is a community challenge and is intended to be an opportunity for members to reach out to each other, introduce yourselves, get involved, and to basically just have some fun. So go ahead and put the best teams together.

And don’t hesitate to post here or contact Raven or MonkeyC for any help, guidance or support. Good luck.
#1590 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 2:09 pm
Darn... Justin Bieber is missing from that list. Looks like I'm out! ;-)
#1593 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 4:17 pm
Darn... Justin Bieber is missing from that list. Looks like I'm out! ;-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Tue 28 Jun, 2016

Haha, darn it - I was going to include him!!! ;)
#1597 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:26 pm
You just had to add Alice In Chains, didn't you?

Welp, I'm in, and you know what I'm gonna be doing ;)
#1598 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:54 pm
You just had to add Alice In Chains, didn't you? Welp, I'm in, and you know what I'm gonna be doing ;)

Originally posted by G4greg on Tue 28 Jun, 2016

Woohoo!!!!! :)
#1599 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 6:06 pm
It's Complicated - because someone made the Police comparison ;)
#1601 Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:35 am
who else in Police? o/
#1602 Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2016 12:56 pm
It's Complicated - because someone made the Police comparison ;)

Originally posted by MarkAlanDooley on Wed 29 Jun, 2016

Cool beans! And just an FYI - The challenges are going to be quarterly from now on, so each will last roughly 3 months. This challenge closes on September 1st, so maybe between now & then you'll want to submit a different song, which of course you can do as well. :)
#1603 Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2016 5:12 pm
only time will tell

https://youtu.be/wl81jRtuBWY
#1604 Posted Wed 29 Jun, 2016 5:16 pm
Just thought I would share some inspiration to those entering this challenge. My bud Bleu is a master at this sort of thing. While he was still under contract with a major label, this was a side project covering the sound of Def Leppard. Loud Lion... Get it? LOL Featuring Allison Robertson from The Donnas on guitar. They even managed to land a movie placement in Balls of Fury. He also did an ELO sounding project called LEO during the same time period. Both albums are fantastic sound a likes he did just for fun!
#1682 Posted Mon 11 Jul, 2016 1:07 pm
1 2 3

Forums > Community Challenges > In the Style of - Challenge 2016Page 1 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up