Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Anyone up for a Bumblebee challenge?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
Haha. Well that's where I am starting from too so no excuses! Still got some time to go before the end of the year and lots of work to do on my alternate picking technique.. which is kinda the point :)
#3306 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 1:19 am
I've really struggled on my speed. Especially with pentatonic scales. The two note per string thing just feels off to me. I do better with major scales. Is this a normal thing or what. I feel uncoordinated. It's not like I haven't worked on it...it just feels like I don't make progress. Any suggestions?
#3307 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 9:54 am
I've really struggled on my speed. Especially with pentatonic scales. The two note per string thing just feels off to me. I do better with major scales. Is this a normal thing or what. I feel uncoordinated. It's not like I haven't worked on it...it just feels like I don't make progress. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by tpistilli on Tue 08 May, 2018

Well something I've done is to go back to basics. There are a lot of things going on with faster playing and I think the trick (or a trick) is to figure out what it is that is throwing you off and breaking it down to some simple exercises to tackle the specific problem.

With faster playing, a lot of the issue is with synchronization between the left and right hands. You can play scales slowly, but as you get faster, the left hand just starts flapping around in a completely different timezone than the right hand! And then, you just think you can't go any faster and give up!

Anyway, point is, if you can break the mystery down and into smaller parts, and work on each of the skills that make up the whole, then we definitely improve. Another thing that demotivates, in the end, is the perception that we are not actually getting any faster. But in fact, you probably are, but you just don't realize it. Hence, most recommend using a metronome.

I've just started my journey, but this is what I have started with:

1/ Single note, single string, alternate picking (i.e. up down up down up down etc. on one string on one note).
2/ Do this to a fixed tempo with a metronome. Don't be shy, if it is only 90bpm, then that's where you start. If its 140 bpm, also great. Just got to figure out what you can do right now - i.e. as fast as you can go without mistakes. Write that number down. For this, I made sure I was able to continue the picking exercise for at least a minute without any (too many) mistakes.
3/ Set a goal for 30 days. For me, I aimed to increase by 40 bpm in the first month. I thought that was pretty ambitious (given that I didn't believe I could be "one of those guys". Turns out, after one month, I've increased by about 70 bpm! Just achieving my goal has given me the confidence to know that I can do it. Now all I have to do is to work on other aspects of my technique that are holding me back. Slowly but surely!

In doing this, I would suggest playing triples (three notes per beat). The reason that picking triplets is a little more complex than quadruplets as you the accents changed from a down-stroke to an upstroke. So playing in quadruplets is generally easier I think.

Which brings up an important point. What is the difference between just playing in tremolo fashion, as fast as you can da da da da da da da da ... vs playing "fast".. it's the accents, isn't it? That's why it is important to start slow. Focus on the accents. Exaggerate them so that your build that muscle memory. DA da da DA da da DA da da DA da da..

How much time? Yes. Time is important, I would suggest. Nothing is gonna change with a daily 5-minute regime. What you probably have to do is bore yourself stupid. Though personally, stuff like this doesn't bore me :)

So what I did was to spend about an hour warming up. Doing the exercise at a constant speed and pace without making mistakes while watching a programme. Clause Levin calls this coach practice or something I can't remember, but you get the idea. Though you are not fully focused on the practice, it is still important to play properly. So you might need to practice the exercise a bit until it becomes a no-brainer before doing it in this way.

Second, I would take a bit of a rest, come back, and do about 10 - 15 minutes of metronome practice. Starting at the tempo slower than your max (let's say 25 bpm slower), do about one minute at that tempo, and then increase the bpm by 5. So in this example, after 5 minutes, you are at your max. Then keep going. Add another 5 for another minute. So you get to the point where you are really pushing it and at this point, you will be making mistakes. But the point is to push yourself beyond your boundary. Take a rest, and repeat another 2 or three or more times.

As I said. For me, using this approach, which I did regimentally for 30 days, I increased my max tempo by about 70 bpm. In theory, the fastest you will ever play will be your top speed here, on a single string with a single note. As you add more notes and strings, of course, it gets more complex. So the next set of exercises tackle those things.

Forget scales and everything else for the moment. One problem at a time :)

Ok. Anyway, you asked for a suggestion. Of course, I had to write a book! Lots of different ways to approach this, but this approach is working for me and I hope it helps others who are interested.. and will join me on my Bumblee Challenge!! Only a year to go :)

Btw, I use SmartChord on my Android for a metronome. It has a great " Speed training" feature that increases the tempo after a set amount of time. Only thing is, its timing is lousy and keeps jumping! But it does the trick for the moment.
#3308 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 2:24 pm
Wow, Lee! Thanks so much for that. Dang it, you are the 2nd person to remind me of what a lazy slug I am....ha ha...1hr warmup?!? Crud, I'd be a lot better if I could get an hour to practice every day. However, the point is, you are right - I gotta put in the time to get better. As dumb as it sounds, I forgot about working with a metronome - I actually did get better and a little faster but got discouraged/distracted somewhere along the line and forgot about it. I will start tonight! I don't think I will do the bumblebee challenge though. However, you did light a fire under my rear end to get back in the game.
Thanks,
Tony
#3309 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 3:11 pm
Cool Tony. Yeah, I mean you don't gotta do an hour+ .. but probably more than 5 minutes! Somewhere in between. 20-30 minutes a day should surely be beneficial and if you can see measured improvement from that then you know you are on the right track.. and we'll talk about the Bumblebee challenge again in a couple of months, ok? :)
#3310 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 3:21 pm
Just do it! Just a couple of notes!! And they are all close together!!! Easy!!!!

E |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B |-- 5 -- 4 ---------------- 6 -- 5 -- 4 -- 5 -- 4 ---------------------------- 4 --
G |------------ 7 -- 6 -- 5 --------------------------- 7 -- 6 -- 5 -- 6 -- 7 -------
D |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And repeat.. lots of times.. as slow as you like :)
#3311 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 4:13 pm
Cool Tony. Yeah, I mean you don't gotta do an hour+ .. but probably more than 5 minutes! Somewhere in between. 20-30 minutes a day should surely be beneficial and if you can see measured improvement from that then you know you are on the right track.. and we'll talk about the Bumblebee challenge again in a couple of months, ok? :)

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Tue 08 May, 2018

Fair enough. I will go for it and see what happens.
#3312 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 4:44 pm
Just do it! Just a couple of notes!! And they are all close together!!! Easy!!!! E |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B |-- 5 -- 4 ---------------- 6 -- 5 -- 4 -- 5 -- 4 ---------------------------- 4 -- G |------------ 7 -- 6 -- 5 --------------------------- 7 -- 6 -- 5 -- 6 -- 7 ------- D |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E |------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And repeat.. lots of times.. as slow as you like :)

How are you fingering that?
#3313 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 4:46 pm
E |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B |-- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) ----------------------------- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) -- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) ----------------------------------------------- 4 (1) --
G |-------------------- 7 (4) -- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -------------------------------------------------- 7 (4) -- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -- 6 (3) -- 7 (4) -------
D |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3314 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 4:50 pm
E |---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B |-- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) ----------------------------- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) -- 5 (2) -- 4 (1) ----------------------------------------------- 4 (1) -- G |-------------------- 7 (4) -- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -------------------------------------------------- 7 (4) -- 6 (3) -- 5 (2) -- 6 (3) -- 7 (4) ------- D |---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A |---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.
#3315 Posted Tue 08 May, 2018 4:56 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Hangout > Anyone up for a Bumblebee challenge?Page 3 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up