Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Anyone up for a Bumblebee challenge?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4

Just putting it out there.. but.. anyone interested in a bit of a personal challenge?

The Challenge

This year, I've set a goal for myself to improve my guitar playing chops and improve my speed. I've always been someone who looks at those fast guys and says, "nah, not into that".. but that's been a bit of an excuse I have to say. It always seems that I can only go so fast, and no faster. I've been playing a few years now and reckon its high time I was a bit more proactive in pushing some new boundaries. So I've decided to tackle my speedphobia. Which brings me to the plan...

The Plan

To round off my year and to celebrate some measure of improvement, I plan to record a version of "Flight of the Bumblebee". Not set on a speed so far, but would just be happy to be able to play this thing beginning to end and make it sound like a pretty decent effort.

So for this, I intend to create a backing track and then record my attempt at playing along with it. I was thinking to put the backing under a Creative Commons license, and then make it available if others want to join in the fun.

Doesn't have to be a guitar version, could be keys, violin, or voice! Up to you. But it is an open challenge to push yourselves and motivate each other. I figure if I create it and post as midi files, you can easily take the backing and change it to a suitable speed. We could all post our best efforts and share the progress.

The Rule

There would be one rule, and that is that the performance must be beginning to end, live, without edits.

The Goal

So the goal would be to play it all the way through without mistakes, as fast as you can.

Anyone interested? Let me know. I'll have to get started on a backing track at some point in the near future but will keep this thread updated if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, here's some motivation..!

Ready, steady, go!

#3285 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 2:40 pm

Just putting it out there.. but.. anyone interested in a bit of a personal challenge?

The Challenge

This year, I've set a goal for myself to improve my guitar playing chops and improve my speed. I've always been someone who looks at those fast guys and says, "nah, not into that".. but that's been a bit of an excuse I have to say. It always seems that I can only go so fast, and no faster. I've been playing a few years now and reckon its high time I was a bit more proactive in pushing some new boundaries. So I've decided to tackle my speedphobia. Which brings me to the plan...

The Plan

To round off my year and to celebrate some measure of improvement, I plan to record a version of "Flight of the Bumblebee". Not set on a speed so far, but would just be happy to be able to play this thing beginning to end and make it sound like a pretty decent effort.

So for this, I intend to create a backing track and then record my attempt at playing along with it. I was thinking to put the backing under a Creative Commons license, and then make it available if others want to join in the fun.

Doesn't have to be a guitar version, could be keys, violin, or voice! Up to you. But it is an open challenge to push yourselves and motivate each other. I figure if I create it and post as midi files, you can easily take the backing and change it to a suitable speed. We could all post our best efforts and share the progress.

The Rule

There would be one rule, and that is that the performance must be beginning to end, live, without edits.

The Goal

So the goal would be to play it all the way through without mistakes, as fast as you can.

Anyone interested? Let me know. I'll have to get started on a backing track at some point in the near future but will keep this thread updated if anyone is interested.

In the meantime, here's some motivation..!

Ready, steady, go!

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Mon 07 May, 2018

Can I play my ukulele?
#3286 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 2:50 pm
Can I play my ukulele?

Originally posted by RAVEN on Mon 07 May, 2018

Definitely. I will send you the music!
#3287 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 2:51 pm
Definitely. I will send you the music!

Umm, umm, ummmm, I'm only kidding. I only know 4 chords. :)
#3288 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 2:53 pm
I could never play that at any speed! lol Cool challenge idea though! :-)
#3289 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:02 pm
I could never play that at any speed! lol Cool challenge idea though! :-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Mon 07 May, 2018

Might be more of a mission than a challenge!
#3290 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:03 pm
#3291 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Mon 07 May, 2018

Haha. Like I said, doesn't have to be on guitar! :)
#3292 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:06 pm
Haha. Like I said, doesn't have to be on guitar! :)

I think I have a kazoo and slide whistle somewhere...
#3293 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:19 pm
That’s an interesting challenge Lee, I’ve never been a speed king, but just reconciled myself to it, I remember reading an interview with David Gilmour and he said he’d never been able to play fast so I figured some people just can’t do it and I’m one of them.

That said I’ll join in with you and see how it goes, if only to be able to play SRV’s Scuttle Buttin, which is an amazing piece of guitar playing :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OoBJXwdn2Jo
#3294 Posted Mon 07 May, 2018 3:22 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Hangout > Anyone up for a Bumblebee challenge?Page 1 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up