Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > A World Record Collaboration

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5
[might be a dumb question ]
Could you explain a bit what the click is and does?
#3602 Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2018 7:54 pm
[might be a dumb question ] Could you explain a bit what the click is and does?

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Wed 12 Sep, 2018

The click track serves as a metronome and helps to keep all of the tracks synchronized.

#3603 Posted Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:14 pm

The click track serves as a metronome and helps to keep all of the tracks synchronized.

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Wed 12 Sep, 2018

So when someone loads a track into the project, that is just their instrument with the backing track removed, the click which is at the beginning, helps the person putting it together to know exactly where everything goes, as all tracks will then start in exactly the same place.

Hope that helps:)

#3604 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 2:56 am
OK, so in that case why is it OK for things like earlier submissions [e.g my submissions that didn't use the backing track] to not use a click track? At one point did a click track become needed to line things up?
[not being a jerk or anything - interested for if I ever have to do this running a project]
#3605 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:40 am

I probably should have put a click on the original, but as I didn’t when I did the concept that is now featured I just lined everything up where I thought it worked. So that was my interpretation, but it may not have been in the place the original composer wanted it to start. It’s ok on a project like this, to a degree, because it is an evolving piece of music, but on a song, it becomes really important that the instruments all line up in the right place, otherwise the bass guitar (for example) maybe 2 bars out from the rest of the song. Really, everything we do on ProCollabs should have a click intro on so the mixer knows how it all fits together. People start their tracks in different places otherwise, so one person might leave one bar of silence at the front of their part before the music starts, someone else’s track just starts immediately, and someone else might only put a Sep up of the 8 bars of their guitar solo. The click is used as a reference point and everything will line up in the same place. So the guitar solo would have the click and then (for example) 50 bars of silence then the guitar solo starts, but it is in exactly the right place on the song.

Does that make sense?

#3606 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:52 am
Yes. I think so. Thanks!
#3607 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:49 am
Just to add to the conversation, there can also be differences DAW to DAW and format to format. If I export a wav from my daw and you from yours, there may be even milliseconds of difference, even though we've both exported from bar 1. When I then import your wav into my project, it may be slightly out, and it can be a real ass trying to line those types of minute details up.

I did a project last year where someone did a rap. I hadn't included a click track and when he uploaded his track I just placed it as he posted it. Turns out, it was slightly out of place. I must of uploaded 3 or 4 new versions with the track shifted left and right trying to get it in the right place, because it sounded right to me (i.e. was in time it fitted with the music) but it was not what he had intended it to be, for him, it was in the wrong place. Would have been a lot easier if we both used a click to count in the first four bars. That way, as Steve pointed out, it's a simple case of making sure those for clicks are aligned and the rest will follow!
#3608 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:42 am
Still lots of time to join in..........

I’ve done a quick count of all the artists we have on ProCollabs and I reckon there are around 732 of us, so far we have 13 joined in which is great, but we need lots more to have any chance of getting a record :-)

Come on, it’s a great way to start getting involved...............
#3609 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:43 pm
Still lots of time to join in.......... I’ve done a quick count of all the artists we have on ProCollabs and I reckon there are around 732 of us, so far we have 13 joined in which is great, but we need lots more to have any chance of getting a record :-) Come on, it’s a great way to start getting involved...............

Originally posted by Vuya on Thu 13 Sep, 2018

I wonder what it would sound like if we got those other 719 users to join in? ;-)

#3610 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:49 pm
Still lots of time to join in.......... I’ve done a quick count of all the artists we have on ProCollabs and I reckon there are around 732 of us, so far we have 13 joined in which is great, but we need lots more to have any chance of getting a record :-) Come on, it’s a great way to start getting involved...............

Originally posted by Vuya on Thu 13 Sep, 2018

Actually, there are around 1570 current members, but many have their notifications turned off.  I'll be sending out another email blast at the end of the week.  Hopefully we'll get some more people to jump in.  :)

#3611 Posted Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:56 pm
1 2 3 4 5

Forums > Community Challenges > A World Record CollaborationPage 3 of 5

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up