Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > 2016 Valentine Challenge

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 
I know I'm probably asking for too much, but if Tomic is part of the jury, I would loooove to read/hear his critic on each songs. I thoroughly enjoyed his critics in MSI, and it would be cool to get something similar.... I know it's probably too late, and it's probably way too much work.. But I just thought I'd throw it out there, since he is on your team. I learned a lot from his critics :)

Originally posted by G4greg on Sat 13 Feb, 2016

Actually Tomic can't judge, none of the staff can.

However, he can freely go to each project and give tips, critique, etc. :)
#1241 Posted Sat 13 Feb, 2016 5:29 pm
Better late, than never........... our Valentine's Challenge song:

Vale my Valentine
By Vuya and GoodVibes

Link: https://www.procollabs.com/completed/313
#1242 Posted Sun 14 Feb, 2016 1:47 am
Soooooo if none of the staff can, who are the judges? I'm confused :)
#1243 Posted Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:14 am
Soooooo if none of the staff can, who are the judges? I'm confused :)

Originally posted by G4greg on Sun 14 Feb, 2016

It's a select few trusted music listeners who are independent of the site and its general goings on. If we were to judge, we would probably be a little too biased, one way or another ;)

But for critique, you're more than welcome to ask Tom directly.
#1244 Posted Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:31 am
Congrats to all that entered. All the songs were outstanding and the feedback was incredibly positive for all of them. You all deserve to be winners in my book (hence why I am not a judge perhaps! :) - - And well done to team Vuya for just topping the list. Nice work guys.

Can't wait for the next one..
#1255 Posted Sun 14 Feb, 2016 10:37 pm
Thanks MonkeyC, and well done to everyone who entered, they were all great tracks. The quality of the music from everyone is just fantastic :)
#1256 Posted Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:18 am
Congrats on the win Vuya! Everyone's entries are amazing. All songs sounded so good! Can't wait for the next challenge! :)
#1257 Posted Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:27 pm
Just want to say thank you to everyone who participated in this challenge. Can’t tell you how much we appreciate it. And as MonkeyC stated, good thing that we don’t have to judge these challenges, there is NO way we could - all of the songs are so awesome!

With that said – we wanted to go over the judge’s scores. Overall, everyone scored pretty high, but what is most important is focusing on the 3 categories - ‘Theme, Hit Factor, and Storyline’.

For this challenge our judges were instructed to ignore their personal preferences and tastes as much as is reasonable, and to focus on these three criteria when evaluating each entry. So the song that hit closest to the mark on the given criteria was the winner. That’s the challenge! ;)

Some teams scored higher in theme, some teams scored lower in storyline, etc. So it is always a good idea to take notes on how you scored in those categories, that way, you’ll have an edge on future challenges.

On the completion side – we wanted to point out a few things.

Since the completed songs go into the Music Library, which is available for the outside world to see and hear – project managers should make sure that everything is tidied up.

* Song titles – you don’t need to include the name of the challenges in your titles. So if your song is named Sugarplum in the Wind, you don’t have to include anything else, i.e, ValentinesChallenge-Sugarplum in the Wind.

* Song description – like the title, there isn’t a need to mention that your song is a part of a challenge. It’s fine during the course of the challenge, but before you complete your project, you should change it to describe the song itself.

*Song lyrics – if your song has lyrics, it is pretty important to include them in your project. If a collaborator (other than the project manager) submits or pastes their lyrics in a comment or via PM – the project manager can copy/paste them directly into the ‘lyrics’ section of their project.

This is important because like your song title & description, this shows up on the datasheet, which is viewable outside of the community.

* Coverart credit –Since one of our challenge rules included using a CC image for your coverart, it’s essential that proper credit be given to the original artist/photographer. We have a non-member ‘credits’ section specifically for coverart, as well as a CC section on every project.

Lastly is time management. We noticed some teams were scurrying to get their projects completed, either the day before or the day of the deadline. Bear in mind that we all come from different parts of the world, on different time-zones, and all team members need to sign off on the project before completion – so time management is crucial when it comes to the challenges. In future challenges, penalties will be applied for late entries.

We usually give over a month to complete challenges. So choosing your team, exchanging ideas, recording your parts, finalizing your mix, assigning credits & copyright, approving your contributions, should all fit into that timeframe. Hence, the key to success, as always, is good planning and effective communications!

Just a tip – if a project manager realizes that they can no longer manage the project, and time is nearing the deadline – they can always transfer the project to another collaborator.

By the way, none of the above had any bearing whatsoever on the judge’s decisions – we just wanted to touch on some points, especially for future challenges.

Since the challenge is over, if anyone wants to fix anything on their project, i.e, song title, description, lyrics, or credits – just let us know and we will make it happen this time around.

Thank you again, everyone. We are sooo grateful to you all. :)
#1258 Posted Mon 15 Feb, 2016 7:44 pm
1 2 3 

Forums > Community Challenges > 2016 Valentine ChallengePage 3 of 3

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up