Music Forums

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Mixing, mastering and the whole damn thing

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2

I don't know where to start. First, there is SO much sheer rubbish on Youtube that I would be wise to avoid. The current fad of pink noise as a fader technique for instance. Even established techniques are rubbish if they are applied foolishly. Take panning for instance. There is little point just panning one thing. Because then the sound goes in one ear. Panning only makes sense in pairs. As someone who taught myself to make a score before I saw a DAW, I am not the best swimmer in the ocean of audio theory. 

In the past I would have gone to an onlne traning site. But Lynda have been ruined by Microsoft. I don't want any of this linkedin whatsit rubbish. Well done Microsoft. Wreck another site! Golf clap! 

I need it online. In FL Studio would be nice but not mandatory. Has anyone used the Slate Digital course? Is that any good? I just want concrete ways of using eqs etc. Or that recording revolution site? Though that seems to be more about actually instrument recording whereas I work inside the DAW. 

Thank you 

#3506 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 6:09 am

I don't know where to start. First, there is SO much sheer rubbish on Youtube that I would be wise to avoid. The current fad of pink noise as a fader technique for instance. Even established techniques are rubbish if they are applied foolishly. Take panning for instance. There is little point just panning one thing. Because then the sound goes in one ear. Panning only makes sense in pairs. As someone who taught myself to make a score before I saw a DAW, I am not the best swimmer in the ocean of audio theory. 

In the past I would have gone to an onlne traning site. But Lynda have been ruined by Microsoft. I don't want any of this linkedin whatsit rubbish. Well done Microsoft. Wreck another site! Golf clap! 

I need it online. In FL Studio would be nice but not mandatory. Has anyone used the Slate Digital course? Is that any good? I just want concrete ways of using eqs etc. Or that recording revolution site? Though that seems to be more about actually instrument recording whereas I work inside the DAW. 

Thank you 

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Tue 14 Aug, 2018

http://www.pensadosplace.tv/

#3507 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 7:28 am
OK. Thank you! I will have a look! I guess my issues fall into a few points:
[1] I have to know that my mixing will not make a disastrous outcome. Am I doing something somehow that if I ever got work accepted for a film score etc that their people would go "nice music but you've done with eq or that with compressor etc and we just can't do anything with that. Sorry.
[2] In FL Studio everything is open ended. You can do anything in any order in any way you like. This is nice. But it also makes optimal outcomes hard. For instance it's easier to put effect plugins outside of the mixer. Rather than using a mix bus or mix buses which is the better method with more ways of getting a good stereo bigger sound.
#3508 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 7:54 am
Maybe it's just me. But http://www.pensadosplace.tv/ looked like a lot of fluff and advertisements with a tiny bit of help thrown in. I can't wade through that. Open to anything else. prepared to pay for a sub site if it helped.
#3509 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 10:11 am
Maybe it's just me. But http://www.pensadosplace.tv/ looked like a lot of fluff and advertisements with a tiny bit of help thrown in. I can't wade through that. Open to anything else. prepared to pay for a sub site if it helped.

It's just you. Dave Pensado's videos are also on YouTube and are absolutely not fluff in any way whatsoever. It behooves the student to be patient when seeking wisdom. If you are seeking a purely academic approach, sign up for classes at Berklee, Full Sail, or similar. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

#3510 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm

It's just you. Dave Pensado's videos are also on YouTube and are absolutely not fluff in any way whatsoever. It behooves the student to be patient when seeking wisdom. If you are seeking a purely academic approach, sign up for classes at Berklee, Full Sail, or similar. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

Originally posted by Astronut on Tue 14 Aug, 2018

Thanks for sharing... Looks like a wealth of information on that YouTube channel!

I think not being afraid to try different things and not being afraid to fail is really important when it comes to music. I apply that thought to my songwriting. I was once told by a successful songwriter to write more bad songs and then every once in a while a good one will come from it. Needless to say... I'm still waiting for a good one. ;-)

#3514 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks for sharing... Looks like a wealth of information on that YouTube channel!

I think not being afraid to try different things and not being afraid to fail is really important when it comes to music. I apply that thought to my songwriting. I was once told by a successful songwriter to write more bad songs and then every once in a while a good one will come from it. Needless to say... I'm still waiting for a good one. ;-)

Originally posted by DrewRoss on Tue 14 Aug, 2018

Your songwriter friend is right though. Time in the woodshed may yield a large number of songs, but over time you should get better at the process. Stephen King said “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”

#3517 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 6:15 pm
A message posted on Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:44 pm was deleted by GoodVibes
I've held back in general on these forums to date. But from now on I will be brutally blunt. At my age I haven't got time to waste. Pensado's Palace? Useless. Absolutely useless. I watched a few videos. He doesn't teach anything. He is selling a list of plug ins. So goodbye to him. Not questioning how good he may be at mixing. But his videos? Pointless. He also leaves me MORE confused than when I began watching. In one video he shows a plug in to "manage" peaking. I thought that peaking should be avoided in the first place? I come back to one of my earlier points: if I had music accepted professionally would any peaking at any point knock me out the ring? Would it be "nice music but we can't deal with peaking even for a fraction off a second. Goodbye".
#3519 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:19 pm
I've held back in general on these forums to date. But from now on I will be brutally blunt. At my age I haven't got time to waste. Pensado's Palace? Useless. Absolutely useless. I watched a few videos. He doesn't teach anything. He is selling a list of plug ins. So goodbye to him. Not questioning how good he may be at mixing. But his videos? Pointless. He also leaves me MORE confused than when I began watching. In one video he shows a plug in to "manage" peaking. I thought that peaking should be avoided in the first place? I come back to one of my earlier points: if I had music accepted professionally would any peaking at any point knock me out the ring? Would it be "nice music but we can't deal with peaking even for a fraction off a second. Goodbye".

:D

#3520 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:33 pm
1 2

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Mixing, mastering and the whole damn thingPage 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up