Music Forums

Forums > Legal > Another licensing question

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

What does a company mean when they say your music must be "license ready"? Is this a question of contracts? Ownership? Mastering?
At some point am I going to have to own my own business if I want to go anywhere with my music?
In my mind, these two questions are related, but I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else....
#2414 Posted Wed 07 Jun, 2017 10:40 am
What does a company mean when they say your music must be "license ready"? Is this a question of contracts? Ownership? Mastering? At some point am I going to have to own my own business if I want to go anywhere with my music? In my mind, these two questions are related, but I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else....

Originally posted by ShannonB on Wed 07 Jun, 2017

Hey Shannon - 'License Ready' are tracks that are 'cleared', meaning you have permission from the copyright holder(s) to submit the track(s) to music supervisors, etc.

License Ready can also refer to making sure your track is up to radio standards, i.e the track is mastered, the levels are up to par, and so on. Music supervisors usually ask for an mp3 for the initial submission - but if they are interested, they will ask for a WAV or AIFF, so make sure you have that.
#2415 Posted Wed 07 Jun, 2017 11:10 am
So, when it gets to that point, & they want your song, is it up to you to write the contracts, licenses, etc. Or do they offer a contract & you agree to it? Or does it depend on the situation?
#2416 Posted Wed 07 Jun, 2017 12:31 pm
So, when it gets to that point, & they want your song, is it up to you to write the contracts, licenses, etc. Or do they offer a contract & you agree to it? Or does it depend on the situation?

Originally posted by ShannonB on Wed 07 Jun, 2017

They are responsible for the contracts, etc. They'll send you over a contract & you'll have to sign it. Make sure you read all the fine print before you sign anything.
#2417 Posted Wed 07 Jun, 2017 12:38 pm

Forums > Legal > Another licensing questionPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up