Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / Retrowave

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thank you! Maybe I should start practicing now so I can be a part of this!

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 12 Jul, 2020

Hahaha..........that's brilliant :-)

#4270 Posted Sun 12 Jul, 2020 2:25 pm

Not quite on topic, but I did just release volume 3 of The Sounds of Nightmares: Music Composed For Campfire Radio Theater last night. It's 45 tracks for creeps like me to enjoy sitting in the dark, listening to sinister sounds. Campfire Radio Theater is a horror anthology podcast. I started working with John in 2014 and have a blast working on the show. If you enjoy creepy music, check it out.

http://kevinhartnell.bandcamp.com/album/the-sounds-of-nightmares-3-music-composed-for-campfire-radio-theater

#4271 Posted Tue 14 Jul, 2020 8:11 am

Not quite on topic, but I did just release volume 3 of The Sounds of Nightmares: Music Composed For Campfire Radio Theater last night. It's 45 tracks for creeps like me to enjoy sitting in the dark, listening to sinister sounds. Campfire Radio Theater is a horror anthology podcast. I started working with John in 2014 and have a blast working on the show. If you enjoy creepy music, check it out.

http://kevinhartnell.bandcamp.com/album/the-sounds-of-nightmares-3-music-composed-for-campfire-radio-theater

Originally posted by Astronut on Tue 14 Jul, 2020

There's a great collection of tracks there - I listened to a few of them and they're pretty spooky - I like messing around with dark sounds as well - what do you use to create yours? I tend to use Omnisphere quite a bit.

#4273 Posted Wed 15 Jul, 2020 3:45 pm

There's a great collection of tracks there - I listened to a few of them and they're pretty spooky - I like messing around with dark sounds as well - what do you use to create yours? I tend to use Omnisphere quite a bit.

Originally posted by Vuya on Wed 15 Jul, 2020

Generally speaking, I work with layers. It may start off with a piano, but it grows from there. Sound effects, synths, drones, various percussion - whatever instrument provides the right "vibe," tone, timbre, emotional elements, you know? Piano is my favorite instrument followed by the Yamaha CP70 (also a piano),  synthesizers, Mellotron, B3/Leslie, Clavichord, Harpsichord, Swedish Bagpipe, et al. :)

#4276 Posted Thu 16 Jul, 2020 9:51 am

Generally speaking, I work with layers. It may start off with a piano, but it grows from there. Sound effects, synths, drones, various percussion - whatever instrument provides the right "vibe," tone, timbre, emotional elements, you know? Piano is my favorite instrument followed by the Yamaha CP70 (also a piano),  synthesizers, Mellotron, B3/Leslie, Clavichord, Harpsichord, Swedish Bagpipe, et al. :)

Originally posted by Astronut on Thu 16 Jul, 2020

Awesome, thanks - I do try and layer different elements but I've yet to try the Swedish Bagpipe - I'll dust it down and give it a go :-)

#4278 Posted Sat 18 Jul, 2020 10:25 am

Awesome, thanks - I do try and layer different elements but I've yet to try the Swedish Bagpipe - I'll dust it down and give it a go :-)

Originally posted by Vuya on Sat 18 Jul, 2020

haha! Well, I hope you like them as much as I do. <3

#4279 Posted Sun 19 Jul, 2020 12:08 pm

haha! Well, I hope you like them as much as I do. <3

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 19 Jul, 2020

Now that I see this guy play, I think I finally got the concept. So the 'bag' basically holds air pressure for future notes? Am I wrong?

#4280 Posted Thu 23 Jul, 2020 1:22 pm

Now that I see this guy play, I think I finally got the concept. So the 'bag' basically holds air pressure for future notes? Am I wrong?

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Thu 23 Jul, 2020

That's correct, Vic. You fill the bag using the blowstick, squeeze the bag to expel air into the chanter and drone(s), and use your fingers on the chanter to play notes. It's not an instrument for people that like things to be easy. :)

They also "season" the bag to keep the material pliable and airtight. The smell of the gunk that oozes out of those is...special.

#4281 Posted Wed 29 Jul, 2020 10:04 am

That's correct, Vic. You fill the bag using the blowstick, squeeze the bag to expel air into the chanter and drone(s), and use your fingers on the chanter to play notes. It's not an instrument for people that like things to be easy. :)

They also "season" the bag to keep the material pliable and airtight. The smell of the gunk that oozes out of those is...special.

Originally posted by Astronut on Wed 29 Jul, 2020

eww. I don't even want to know about stuff oozing from a bag. Some instruments are gross. I remember the spit valve on my trumpet. Just thinking about how discusting that is makes me want to hurl. You open the valve, blow and it goes out on the floor (or on someones back). I remember my music teacher testing out each trumpet then giving it back to the student. How nasty.

#4282 Posted Fri 31 Jul, 2020 2:27 pm

Here's the latest...something older with a new twist. :)

#4311 Posted Tue 08 Sep, 2020 8:49 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Forums > Hangout > Synthwave / Futurewave / RetrowavePage 5 of 8

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up