Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > When Different Collab Members Can't Agree

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

About a week ago I found a project that I liked a lot. It was asking for strings. So I made some strings and submitted it. I got back a response: could you put your submission combined with the project and re submit? i.e resubmit my strings as a wav file combined with the current project wav file.

At first I thought this was OK. But then I felt uncomfortable. Would I be doing the person's project for them? I mean I use FL Studio. If I put two waves files together then I have options like crossfading them. Even if I chose to not use those options I woudl de facto be making a choice about another person's project.

So I replied "no I am not comfortable with doing that; I don't have the right to do your project for you". That's where it ended. OK. No hard feelings. Just can't agree.

Or to put it this way: I am happy to submit bricks for your house project but I don't have the right to be the architect for your house.

Agree? Disagree?
#3185 Posted Fri 06 Apr, 2018 2:51 pm
Hi Andrew,

It sounds as though the project owner was just asking for you to submit your audition mixed in with the original file for listening purposes. This can be considered normal practice when submitting auditions as the mix is just for hearing how you envision your part in the song. If your audition is accepted, the project owner will usually request your individual instrument files at that point.

I hope this helps.

Drew
#3186 Posted Fri 06 Apr, 2018 4:04 pm
From my perspective, I like to hear an audition part mixed with the original track as it helps me hear the context. I think every project I’ve had auditions submitted for, are uploaded mixed in first and then provided as Seps once they’ve been accepted.
#3188 Posted Sun 08 Apr, 2018 10:59 am
That's all I'm doing these days is singing over somebody's music. If they like it, then I send vocal seps.
#3197 Posted Wed 11 Apr, 2018 11:12 pm
I've had a better time in the collab that I joined a few days ago.
#3198 Posted Thu 12 Apr, 2018 1:37 am
I've had a better time in the collab that I joined a few days ago.

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Thu 12 Apr, 2018

That's good then, after all you should enjoy what you do :)
#3199 Posted Fri 13 Apr, 2018 12:16 pm

Forums > Hangout > When Different Collab Members Can't AgreePage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up