Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Soundcloud Investors May Pull The Plug

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/08/10/soundcloud-investors-24-hours/

Originally posted by Astronut on Fri 11 Aug, 2017

That is insane! Lee and I always talk about SoundCloud, and question where they get the funds from to maintain and host millions of tracks.

"Over its multi-year history, SoundCloud has burned through more than $230 million. That doesn’t even include an additional $70 million in loans, undoubtedly accruing massive interest."

They burned through 230 million dollars!?!? On what? Salaries, perhaps?

I wonder what will happen to all the musicians on the site and their music. And if they paid for a premium membership, will they get reimbursed? Crazy!
#2717 Posted Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:57 pm
No worries, here you go, just take another $170,000,000 !!!
#2718 Posted Sat 12 Aug, 2017 2:28 am
I am amazed they lasted this long. I pulled my music from SC when they killed the "groups" feature. :-(
#2723 Posted Sat 12 Aug, 2017 3:47 pm
I know just enough to post my songs there. I never understood how it was a collaboration site. From what I read before the comments there got too crude to care, some people do see it as that.
#2725 Posted Sat 12 Aug, 2017 4:50 pm
Here is the follow-up. It says a $170 million dollar emergency fund has given them a few more months.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/08/11/soundcloud-emergency-funding-ceo/
#2736 Posted Sun 13 Aug, 2017 9:50 pm
"Indeed, as SoundCloud burned, Ljung has been blasted for wasting money and partying like a rock star. That included lavish offices, outrageous perks and scant strategies for monetization."

I had a feeling that was the case! Unreal. :/
#2737 Posted Sun 13 Aug, 2017 11:34 pm
If anyone wants to give ProCollabs $170 million.. I'm all ears.. Think we can make it last a bit longer than a couple of months :)
#2738 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 5:16 am
I don't think the site provides anything to anyone that can't be provided elsewhere. I always thought it was useless and without direction. I could never understand how they thought they would make money. Like most of us here it was a good place to keep your stuff. It was a pretty typical startup with an 80's mentality. The thought process was to build this thing and figure out how to monetize it later. At least that's how I perceived it.
#2740 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:01 am
I don't think the site provides anything to anyone that can't be provided elsewhere. I always thought it was useless and without direction. I could never understand how they thought they would make money. Like most of us here it was a good place to keep your stuff. It was a pretty typical startup with an 80's mentality. The thought process was to build this thing and figure out how to monetize it later. At least that's how I perceived it.

Originally posted by V1CTOR on Mon 14 Aug, 2017

Completely agree, and to know that so much money was invested & now gone, is a real shame!
#2741 Posted Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:23 am
1 2

Forums > Hangout > Soundcloud Investors May Pull The PlugPage 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up