Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Session Musicians

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2
Just read a good article from BMI and wanted to share. There is also a link within the article talking about what to look for when choosing demo singers.

http://bit.ly/2bqJzKC

(Yep, that worked, thanks, Jim!)
#1829 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 3:22 pm
Geez, what a long freakin' link! :/
#1830 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 3:22 pm
I think the link is longer than the article......... :))
#1846 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 4:27 pm
I think the link is longer than the article......... :))

Originally posted by Vuya on Mon 22 Aug, 2016

Haha, I think you're right! :)
#1860 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 6:22 pm
Or you could use bitly.com and the link would be like this :)
http://bit.ly/2bqJzKC
#1861 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 9:43 pm
Or you could use bitly.com and the link would be like this :) http://bit.ly/2bqJzKC

Originally posted by JimCavanaugh on Mon 22 Aug, 2016

Ya don't say... Wow, that's really helpful, thanks for sharing! :)
#1862 Posted Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:35 pm
Just read a good article from BMI and wanted to share. There is also a link within the article talking about what to look for when choosing demo singers. http://bit.ly/2bqJzKC (Yep, that worked, thanks, Jim!)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Mon 22 Aug, 2016

I guess I need to come out as an Amateur. XD I've always had to subject myself to a budget when it comes to recording and even though I think I've made huge strides in sound quality and performance in my 14 years of music. The fact is, I (My band) cannot afford a top notch studio/producer. I've had to work with friends of friends and most of the time it's mobile rigs and basement studios. At the very least, the people I'm working with now are producing the best quality I've ever been apart of.

My goals have been to practice and refine my drum skills to the session musician quality and try to network with songwriters to try to get my name on good music. Although, I'm pretty satisfied with my projects over the last year, I've identified a lot of missteps taken in the past, investing time and effort into the wrong people and allowing myself to become discouraged with the whole music aspect. I guess if I can reach my goals, I may one day find myself in a million dollar studio from the session musician side of things, that would be nice.
#2960 Posted Thu 02 Nov, 2017 11:08 am
I guess I need to come out as an Amateur. XD I've always had to subject myself to a budget when it comes to recording and even though I think I've made huge strides in sound quality and performance in my 14 years of music. The fact is, I (My band) cannot afford a top notch studio/producer. I've had to work with friends of friends and most of the time it's mobile rigs and basement studios. At the very least, the people I'm working with now are producing the best quality I've ever been apart of. My goals have been to practice and refine my drum skills to the session musician quality and try to network with songwriters to try to get my name on good music. Although, I'm pretty satisfied with my projects over the last year, I've identified a lot of missteps taken in the past, investing time and effort into the wrong people and allowing myself to become discouraged with the whole music aspect. I guess if I can reach my goals, I may one day find myself in a million dollar studio from the session musician side of things, that would be nice.

Originally posted by SmashKAB on Thu 02 Nov, 2017

"I've always had to subject myself to a budget when it comes to recording and even though I think I've made huge strides in sound quality and performance in my 14 years of music. The fact is, I (My band) cannot afford a top notch studio/producer."

Oh isn't that the truth? I think we can all relate as artists/musicians, that having top-notch equipment and having a million dollar studio to record in would be ideal, not to mention amazing! :)

On another note - the sound that many 'home studio' producers are able to achieve these days is pretty incredible. I mean, sooner or later there probably won't be too many 'professional' studios left in business. Sure, if you're a session musician you'd need a studio to record in - but if you had a make-shift home studio to record in, and someone who could mix & master your tracks - that would save you a lot of money. Then you could focus on being a session musician without having to worry about the extra expense a studio would cost ya.

That is why collaboration sites are ideal. Pros & cons of course - but when you can collaborate with someone who is willing to mix/master or produce your tracks, instead of paying them upfront, you can give them a share in the sound recording copyright - that is pretty cool.
#2966 Posted Thu 02 Nov, 2017 4:36 pm
"I've always had to subject myself to a budget when it comes to recording and even though I think I've made huge strides in sound quality and performance in my 14 years of music. The fact is, I (My band) cannot afford a top notch studio/producer." Oh isn't that the truth? I think we can all relate as artists/musicians, that having top-notch equipment and having a million dollar studio to record in would be ideal, not to mention amazing! :) On another note - the sound that many 'home studio' producers are able to achieve these days is pretty incredible. I mean, sooner or later there probably won't be too many 'professional' studios left in business. Sure, if you're a session musician you'd need a studio to record in - but if you had a make-shift home studio to record in, and someone who could mix & master your tracks - that would save you a lot of money. Then you could focus on being a session musician without having to worry about the extra expense a studio would cost ya. That is why collaboration sites are ideal. Pros & cons of course - but when you can collaborate with someone who is willing to mix/master or produce your tracks, instead of paying them upfront, you can give them a share in the sound recording copyright - that is pretty cool.

Originally posted by RAVEN on Thu 02 Nov, 2017

Yeah, things are certainly becoming more affordable for the home studio. Even the price difference between my 2 last audio interfaces and what they are capable of doing is staggering.

I think that's what I'm aiming for too, I've given up on the notion that I will be a master at ALL THE THINGS. I'll mix and render drums for the overlaid covers I do on youtube but when it comes to actually creating a composition, I like to track my drums and the video of the session and then fire those off to whoever is leading the project. A few months later it's like "Oh yeah! that thing I did, awesome"

I also really like the idea of share in the copyright, it's not much for each song but, 10 years from now it should be adding up. I just have to maintain a efficient production cycle. ;)

What you say about the 'Professional' studios is true to, I'm sure the lavish, super expensive studio will always exist but it will become the exception rather than the rule, and the more efficient, more resourceful will soon eclipse the industry. I think sites like this and other developing online music communities are the future. We just have to get there, it'd be cool to see this site adapted into an app and work in the same kind of UI that the best Multiplayer games have.. Like DOTA (if you've every seen/heard/played that). Hosting projects, much like you do here. You could create teams (bands), define roles, track stats, build in all kinds of useful features. :)... lol, I'm pretty sure this only makes sense to me at this point, it's a concept I'd like to flush out before taking it to someone who might be capable of implementation. XD Basically my vision is a cross between the Discord app and the Multiplayer queue in DOTA.
#2968 Posted Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:16 am
Yeah, things are certainly becoming more affordable for the home studio. Even the price difference between my 2 last audio interfaces and what they are capable of doing is staggering. I think that's what I'm aiming for too, I've given up on the notion that I will be a master at ALL THE THINGS. I'll mix and render drums for the overlaid covers I do on youtube but when it comes to actually creating a composition, I like to track my drums and the video of the session and then fire those off to whoever is leading the project. A few months later it's like "Oh yeah! that thing I did, awesome" I also really like the idea of share in the copyright, it's not much for each song but, 10 years from now it should be adding up. I just have to maintain a efficient production cycle. ;) What you say about the 'Professional' studios is true to, I'm sure the lavish, super expensive studio will always exist but it will become the exception rather than the rule, and the more efficient, more resourceful will soon eclipse the industry. I think sites like this and other developing online music communities are the future. We just have to get there, it'd be cool to see this site adapted into an app and work in the same kind of UI that the best Multiplayer games have.. Like DOTA (if you've every seen/heard/played that). Hosting projects, much like you do here. You could create teams (bands), define roles, track stats, build in all kinds of useful features. :)... lol, I'm pretty sure this only makes sense to me at this point, it's a concept I'd like to flush out before taking it to someone who might be capable of implementation. XD Basically my vision is a cross between the Discord app and the Multiplayer queue in DOTA.

Originally posted by SmashKAB on Fri 03 Nov, 2017

"it'd be cool to see this site adapted into an app and work in the same kind of UI that the best Multiplayer games have.. Like DOTA"

Yep, I had to look that up. That would be pretty cool, and a first I reckon. Not sure if a music collaboration/gaming site exists. Who knows, maybe that would be a possibility someday. :)
#2972 Posted Fri 03 Nov, 2017 5:00 pm
1 2

Forums > Hangout > Session MusiciansPage 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up