Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist Mistakes

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
I've been doing this for almost 50 years. Yeah. It's true. Most songs suck. The pleasure of creating, however, is always there. Even a sucky song is fun to write. The trick is to learn how to make the best of the inspiration you get. This is where being able to endure constructive criticism is helpful. I'd encourage you to find people who have accomplished what you aspire to achieving and give them a safe place to share their harshest criticisms (assuming they mean well which is not always easy to determine). Titanic ego melt-downs are not advised. I know because I've done it; the results weren't pretty. But it's only through viewing your art through the eyes and ears of others that you arrive at a standard that's most meaningful for you. It gives you the capacity to stand outside yourself when you make artistic choices. And it doesn't get any easier. Sure, there's more to choose from in your toolbox of craft. But the siren call of mediocrity is still as loud. You always have to push as hard as you can to get past your own limitations.

Originally posted by SMajor on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

"You always have to push as hard as you can to get past your own limitations."

I agree with that 100%. My biggest limitation is that I don't play any instruments (sans 4 chords on a Uke) so creating music for myself is a struggle, and I depend on the amazing musicians here to inspire me. Which is absolutely fine, but I do consider it a limitation.

I used to raise the bar for myself all the time - but these days I try not to take my music so seriously. I do enjoy taking risks though, because I get bored if I don't create something different or outside of the box.

So cheers to sucky songs, let's just create music & have some fun! :)
#1720 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:53 pm
I can't imagine being pitch perfect. I have enough issues tuning G on a guitar. What's up with that, or is it just me?

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

Hey, you don't think I have perfect pitch? Okay, don't you dare answer that! :)~
#1721 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:55 pm
Hey, you don't think I have perfect pitch? Okay, don't you dare answer that! :)~

Originally posted by RAVEN on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

Oh, now I get it, so it isn't me at all :)
#1722 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:58 pm
You have perfect teamwork! ;-)
#1723 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:01 am
Haha, that's it, I'm retiring! ;)
#1724 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:08 am
Hmmm :) I know several people just around my hometown that literally can hear anything and immediately start playing it or singing it in real time pitch on. Must be something in the polluted river. But...none of them can do what I do. (work on old cars lol)
#1725 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 1:09 am
Hmmm :) I know several people just around my hometown that literally can hear anything and immediately start playing it or singing it in real time pitch on. Must be something in the polluted river. But...none of them can do what I do. (work on old cars lol)

Originally posted by MarkAlanDooley on Mon 18 Jul, 2016

I can't do either of those things. ;-)
#1726 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:10 pm
you're lucky...its a hard road either one
#1727 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
I've been doing this for almost 50 years. Yeah. It's true. Most songs suck. The pleasure of creating, however, is always there. Even a sucky song is fun to write. The trick is to learn how to make the best of the inspiration you get. This is where being able to endure constructive criticism is helpful. I'd encourage you to find people who have accomplished what you aspire to achieving and give them a safe place to share their harshest criticisms (assuming they mean well which is not always easy to determine). Titanic ego melt-downs are not advised. I know because I've done it; the results weren't pretty. But it's only through viewing your art through the eyes and ears of others that you arrive at a standard that's most meaningful for you. It gives you the capacity to stand outside yourself when you make artistic choices. And it doesn't get any easier. Sure, there's more to choose from in your toolbox of craft. But the siren call of mediocrity is still as loud. You always have to push as hard as you can to get past your own limitations.

Originally posted by SMajor on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

"the siren call of mediocrity" - that's the one!
#1729 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:14 pm
I can't imagine being pitch perfect. I have enough issues tuning G on a guitar. What's up with that, or is it just me?

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

Richard Thompson says that guitars are inherently out of tune. (Yet he plays in tune. Hmmm.)
#1730 Posted Mon 18 Jul, 2016 5:16 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist MistakesPage 2 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up