Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist Mistakes

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4
Stumbled upon this and it hurt my feelings. So I thought I would share :)

1. Your Songs Suck
Consumers will instantly click past a crappy song to thousands of online radio stations till they find a good song that really moves them in the first 10-20 seconds. You better have GREAT songs. It’s a CRAFT; it always has been. Treat is as such. You need to seek out a few mentors to teach you what they know about their CRAFT and apply your unique vision and perspective to that knowledge. Easy to do with all the online writing societies.

And there's more.. Ouch!

http://symphonicdistribution.com/20-worst-indie-artist-mistakes
#1696 Posted Thu 14 Jul, 2016 3:27 am
Stumbled upon this and it hurt my feelings. So I thought I would share :) [b]1. Your Songs Suck[/b] Consumers will instantly click past a crappy song to thousands of online radio stations till they find a good song that really moves them in the first 10-20 seconds. You better have GREAT songs. It’s a CRAFT; it always has been. Treat is as such. You need to seek out a few mentors to teach you what they know about their CRAFT and apply your unique vision and perspective to that knowledge. Easy to do with all the online writing societies. And there's more.. Ouch! http://symphonicdistribution.com/20-worst-indie-artist-mistakes

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Thu 14 Jul, 2016

"#1. Your Songs Suck"

Mistake #1. is the reason why I make mistakes #2 through #20! lol
#1709 Posted Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:56 pm
Good points (and poor spelling) here. I'm glad Todd Rundgren never read this when he was starting out.
#1711 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 8:06 am
Welp, that article just convinced me of keeping it as a hobby.. I pretty much do every single mistake on that list LOL

oh, and yes, my songs DO suck ;)
#1712 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 10:29 am
Mine do too, accepted that long ago...I just do this to stave off the Alzheimers, hopefully.
#1713 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:55 am
Oh you guys!!! You are all brilliant musicians! :)

Don't take too much to heart from that article - especially that is was an article found on Music Clout. That's a red-flag company in my book.
#1714 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 12:06 pm
Most songs suck, even the ones by your favourites. (The Beatles set an impossible bar, but some of theirs suck too.) As Theodore Sturgeon pointed out, "Ninety percent of everything is crap." But as the article points out if you work at your craft you reduce the level of suckiness. George Harrison died still wishing he could write one great song. George Harrison! So take heart and keep throwing that crap against the wall.
#1715 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 1:24 pm
I've been doing this for almost 50 years. Yeah. It's true. Most songs suck.

The pleasure of creating, however, is always there. Even a sucky song is fun to write.

The trick is to learn how to make the best of the inspiration you get. This is where being able to endure constructive criticism is helpful. I'd encourage you to find people who have accomplished what you aspire to achieving and give them a safe place to share their harshest criticisms (assuming they mean well which is not always easy to determine). Titanic ego melt-downs are not advised. I know because I've done it; the results weren't pretty. But it's only through viewing your art through the eyes and ears of others that you arrive at a standard that's most meaningful for you. It gives you the capacity to stand outside yourself when you make artistic choices.

And it doesn't get any easier. Sure, there's more to choose from in your toolbox of craft. But the siren call of mediocrity is still as loud. You always have to push as hard as you can to get past your own limitations.
#1717 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 8:53 pm
True, for me the buzz is in the creation. At that time I feel more in tune with everything. Best drug ever! My woman has perfect pitch and cringes at the slightest nuance of pitchiness. She can't stand my stuff...LOL She says "Bon Jovi isn't a good singer, so what do I know?" If I really want the true deal, I'll play something for her...rare occurance. (She's heard raven and dazzle, so my cred is elevated a skosh by association ;)
#1718 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:27 pm
True, for me the buzz is in the creation. At that time I feel more in tune with everything. Best drug ever! My woman has perfect pitch and cringes at the slightest nuance of pitchiness. She can't stand my stuff...LOL She says "Bon Jovi isn't a good singer, so what do I know?" If I really want the true deal, I'll play something for her...rare occurance. (She's heard raven and dazzle, so my cred is elevated a skosh by association ;)

Originally posted by MarkAlanDooley on Sun 17 Jul, 2016

I can't imagine being pitch perfect. I have enough issues tuning G on a guitar. What's up with that, or is it just me?
#1719 Posted Sun 17 Jul, 2016 11:44 pm
1 2 3 4

Forums > Hangout > 20 Worst Indie Artist MistakesPage 1 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up