Music Forums

Forums > Hangout > Lyrics for Music Contest

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

Trust me when I say there are some extremely talented and prolific writers on PoetrySoup. Since I'm always on the hunt for good lyrics, I started a little contest. Check it out:

http://www.poetrysoup.com/poetry_contests/lyrics_for_music_7966

The response has been amazing. I received 26 submissions in one day. So, based on the response, I will probably increase the maximum number of allowed submissions.

The winner will have his or her poem put to music and I will sing the words as if they were my own. Get ready. This is going to be epic!
#1498 Posted Sat 21 May, 2016 11:20 pm
Trust me when I say there are some extremely talented and prolific writers on PoetrySoup. Since I'm always on the hunt for good lyrics, I started a little contest. Check it out: http://www.poetrysoup.com/poetry_contests/lyrics_for_music_7966 The response has been amazing. I received 26 submissions in one day. So, based on the response, I will probably increase the maximum number of allowed submissions. The winner will have his or her poem put to music and I will sing the words as if they were my own. Get ready. This is going to be epic!

Originally posted by Roo on Sat 21 May, 2016

Ryan, that is a wonderful idea! It looks like the community over there is loving the idea too. I'm sure the final product is going to be amazing! I'll be watching so please keep us posted!

Are you going to pick the winner, or will people be voting?
#1499 Posted Sun 22 May, 2016 11:57 am
Ryan, that is a wonderful idea! It looks like the community over there is loving the idea too. I'm sure the final product is going to be amazing! I'll be watching so please keep us posted! Are you going to pick the winner, or will people be voting?

Originally posted by RAVEN on Sun 22 May, 2016

Thanks Dani! 36 incredible poems and counting...

The authors names are withheld until I've chosen the winner. :))
#1500 Posted Sun 22 May, 2016 10:01 pm
#1556 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:46 am
Ryan, I know I mentioned it before, but this was such a wonderful idea & I am so honored that I could be a part of it - and especially that you chose ProCollabs to make the magic happen. You actually brought life to those words and I'm sure that Steve is so appreciative and excited.

Since you have mentioned Poetry Soup, I have visited quite a few times - it's an amazing site with incredibly talented writers. There are sooooo many poems and sets of lyrics all around for everyone to enjoy and appreciate. Yet there are so many poems that will go unread, so what you did was seriously awesome!

I hope that this can happen again! And thank you again for actually making it happen! :)
#1557 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:13 am
Great idea, Ryan! The song came out awesome! Hopefully you can get some of those lyric writers to join ProCollabs too. ;-)
#1558 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
I really appreciate your enthusiasm and support Dani. The original deadline for picking a winner was today. So, the fact that members of ProCollabs were able to deliver the prize ahead of schedule says volumes! :D

I would certainly like to keep the momentum going. I will probably wait a little while before doing another public contest, but I like the idea of finding an unappreciated poem, using the lyrics to write a good song and then blogging about the process.
#1562 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 6:04 pm
Thanks Drew! PoetrySoup is a huge community. Currently, there are 29,620 poets who have contributed 572,723 poems. Personally, I would prefer to read through a writer's portfolio without them knowing and then reach out to them if something grabbed my attention. The thought of opening up the flood gates and potentially being slammed by a tsunami of requests scares the @#$%&* out of me! I realize that probably would never happen - at least not to me, but even the remote possibility makes me skittish. On the other hand, if they were willing to pay a fee... ;)
#1563 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 6:19 pm
Great work, Ryan. And to everyone that did the magic!
#1564 Posted Mon 20 Jun, 2016 6:22 pm
Thanks Drew! PoetrySoup is a huge community. Currently, there are 29,620 poets who have contributed 572,723 poems. Personally, I would prefer to read through a writer's portfolio without them knowing and then reach out to them if something grabbed my attention. The thought of opening up the flood gates and potentially being slammed by a tsunami of requests scares the @#$%&* out of me! I realize that probably would never happen - at least not to me, but even the remote possibility makes me skittish. On the other hand, if they were willing to pay a fee... ;)

Originally posted by Roo on Mon 20 Jun, 2016

Good point, Ryan! I can see how a flood of 29,620 poets might not be such a good thing! lol
#1591 Posted Tue 28 Jun, 2016 4:13 pm

Forums > Hangout > Lyrics for Music ContestPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up