Music Forums

Forums > Feedback > Mysterious Vanishing Comments

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

Hello everyone

The mysterious vanishing comments remain mysterious. But fear not, you'll just rewrite what you originally wrote in a more succinct and clear way. Everyone's a winner! Clearly we could claim that this is by design, but I'll be brutally honest with you, its just a bug. Though, it does give the site a unique character that you don't find in other places.. just remember that. And then there's that old saying, you get what you pay for :)

On a serious note, we are no closer to solving this. Our -21 [wo]man tech team have been working away tirelessly to discover the cause of this, yet it remains a mystery. And so it is. Hence, why I wanted to start this topic. We'll call it the official place to grumble and get it off your chest so you can move on.

It comes up here and there, especially when new people join who are intrigued by the comment gobbling ghost. Well, we appologize for past and future meals. All we can do is to keep gathering war stories and to dish out suggestions whilst we widdle away in the background. BTW this is equally a problem for mail messages as it is comments on projects. You have been warned.

Everybody, if you can, get in to the habit of copying your text before you press the post button. It's a pain, but it saves a lot of heartache. It's actually pretty good internet advice in general I think. Those of you who still use Windows 95 will know what I'm talking about.

The main issue with this is that it seems to be very random. So we aren't able to duplicate it in a test and then solve it. And it seems to be more of a problem for some than it is for others too. For me personnally, it has happened, but seems to be very rare. For others, it seems to happen every day. So for those who are suffering and who want to help, what I'd like to suggest is that everytime this happens to you, try to take note of the exact date, time, and any other info that seems relevant. Try to notice things like: if you took a lot of time creating a long message, or it happended with a quick reply too. Were you actively clicking around the site shortly before it happened, or where you idle for some time, and then hit send. That type of thing, as well as the obvious like mobile or desktop, browser, etc. Take some notes, and post them in reply to this message. The more thoughts you have, the more handy it will be. With luck, we'll spot some kind of pattern that corrosponds in the logs. 

So on that note, some tips to maintain your sanity:

Tip #1  Get in to the habit of copying your text before you press the post button

Tip #2  Take note of the exact date and time (and timezone) that your text dissapear, and reply to this post with the specifics

Things you can to try:

1/ In your profile settings, there is an option that says, "I am having issues staying logged-in. Disable the IP check security feature" - I'm curious if this could play a role. Check your settings and see what yours is set to. I have this selected for the most part as I am using different computers and otherwise get logged out a lot. If this is not on for you, and your comments get regularly gobbled, then try this and let us know if you notice any difference.

Thanks for being patient!

#5188 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 3:08 am
Just fyi, that message didn't get gobbled. I don't know what to tell ya. I'm just lucky like that.
#5189 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 3:09 am
Wow, luckily the comment goblin didn't eat that up. :)

Thanks for posting this, it really is a pain, and has been for quite a while. And yes, the most annoying thing is that it is random, no rhyme or reason to it, just happens.

While I have gotten into the habit of copying my text, at times I do forget. It doesn't happen to me very often either, but when it does, it irritates me too.

I'm sure we will figure out the pesky bug responsible for this! :)
#5191 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 3:37 am
Wow, luckily the comment goblin didn't eat that up. :) Thanks for posting this, it really is a pain, and has been for quite a while. And yes, the most annoying thing is that it is random, no rhyme or reason to it, just happens. While I have gotten into the habit of copying my text, at times I do forget. It doesn't happen to me very often either, but when it does, it irritates me too. I'm sure we will figure out the pesky bug responsible for this! :)

Originally posted by RAVEN on Wed 06 Sep, 2023

It only happens to me when I don't copy my message.

Watch out this dstaabr is aware

#5193 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:20 am

It only happens to me when I don't copy my message.

Watch out this datrsba is aware

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Wed 06 Sep, 2023

Look another conspiracy, it altered my spelling of barstard!

#5194 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:21 am

Look another conspiracy, it altered my spelling of barstard!

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Wed 06 Sep, 2023

There's a fucken anagram bug here as well. Bloody ncut

#5195 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:22 am
Ghosts haha
#5196 Posted Wed 06 Sep, 2023 5:23 am

Forums > Feedback > Mysterious Vanishing CommentsPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up