Music Forums

Forums > Feedback > collaboration/cowriting

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

I've studied some of the "talent needed" requests. I have many serious cowriters with professional ethics and goals that I work with and am always on the lookout for more. I'm a BMI songwriter, producer , publisher that has his own recording studio, plays multi instruments and sings . I have major tv show licensing credentials and more. I share expenses and writers credits with my cowriters. I'm not noticing any mention of sharing expenses in the requests. I create commercially professional masters, not demos. And that requires a mutual sharing of expenses. Usually around $30 each to produce a quality professional post mastered product suitable for today's licensing market (I do everything "in house"). I'm interested in the mindset of today's songwriters and lyricists. Please visit https://crystali20108.wixsite.com/website for samples and more information. I'll be interested in any feedback. Thank you, John (crystal image music BMI)
#4183 Posted Sun 17 May, 2020 4:05 am
I've studied some of the "talent needed" requests. I have many serious cowriters with professional ethics and goals that I work with and am always on the lookout for more. I'm a BMI songwriter, producer , publisher that has his own recording studio, plays multi instruments and sings . I have major tv show licensing credentials and more. I share expenses and writers credits with my cowriters. I'm not noticing any mention of sharing expenses in the requests. I create commercially professional masters, not demos. And that requires a mutual sharing of expenses. Usually around $30 each to produce a quality professional post mastered product suitable for today's licensing market (I do everything "in house"). I'm interested in the mindset of today's songwriters and lyricists. Please visit https://crystali20108.wixsite.com/website for samples and more information. I'll be interested in any feedback. Thank you, John (crystal image music BMI)

Originally posted by crystali on Sun 17 May, 2020

Hey, John. It's great to hear that you are having some success in the licensing world and good to know about your ambitions on the site. We have many great writers and producers here, both professional and a lot here just for fun (and lockdown). 

I would totally agree that if the intent of a project was for professional purposes and splits agreed then any costs would be shared. I've also not seen that mentioned, but that's likely because most projects are completed on the site, including mastering. That said, I don't think I've noticed too many projects started with the purpose of licensing in mind. 

I think it is important to put this information in the project brief when the project is first started, as everyone who collaborates would have to have that same information/expectation upfront and not be surprised after the project was completed with a request to pay for something additional. This can/should also be addressed in a custom collaboration agreement, which can be setup when the project is started by the project owner. As I mentioned, I'm not sure so many set out with a specific intent other than to collaborate and produce some great music, with no particular ambitions.

Speaking for myself, unless I have started a project with licensing and commercial goals being the main purpose, after the project is completed, and if I then wanted to start pitching it, I likely wouldn't go back and ask others to share in the expenses that I might incur in pursuing opportunities. But that said, it would really depend on the money involved and potential windful - but wouldn't be surprised to find others then not willing to invest in my dream (though perfectly happy to collect :).

Many here have produced tracks together, which simply results in a share of the copyright (normally). Each is then free to do as they like with the song and would likely absorb any costs themselves (assuming they are low I would think). So if I wanted to distribute and sell the song worldwide and went and posted through CD Baby, for example, I would probably not ask to share in the costs. But if the track sold, would be responsible to share out the profits.

So if your question or point was to know if asking collaborators to share in the expenses of a project was normal or acceptable, then my view would be absolutely yes, makes sense, so long as the arrangement is made clear up front. 

Also worth pointing out that you mentioned studying other people's 'talent needed' requests. In that case, can you see any indication that they have any kind of licensing or commercial purpose in mind? Possibly not. Hence why upfront communications and agreement is so important before embarking on a project with someone new, as your visions may be completely different.

Would be great to hear others views on this too. It's a good question!

#4184 Posted Sun 17 May, 2020 6:16 am
Thank you for your feedback.
#4186 Posted Sun 17 May, 2020 12:59 pm

Forums > Feedback > collaboration/cowritingPage 1 of 1

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up