Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > REMIX Challenge Kickin' Mule

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 
OK, thank you! I will scan it in and upload.
#3789 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 5:11 am
Ok, done and uploaded in community section as "Happy Harry". Look, my Diploma of Graphics design involved sketching toblerone packaging. I don't pretend to have skills in drawing equine, hooved, saddled up beasts of the race track. But in 20 minutes with just 2 dark lead pencils I put something together. If anyone wants to use it for this task or anything else, then feel free to use. Enjoy!
#3790 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 5:36 am
Ok, done and uploaded in community section as "Happy Harry". Look, my Diploma of Graphics design involved sketching toblerone packaging. I don't pretend to have skills in drawing equine, hooved, saddled up beasts of the race track. But in 20 minutes with just 2 dark lead pencils I put something together. If anyone wants to use it for this task or anything else, then feel free to use. Enjoy!

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Tue 05 Feb, 2019

Nice one ;-)

#3791 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 10:03 am

This one is for all you talented remixers out there, as well as the untalented remixers such as myself. There's a first time for everything. This is a REMIX challenge. Apparently, it's not as easy as it looks! Here's what you gotta do.

The Challenge

You will use a song recorded in 1941, "Kickin' Mule" to create your own original samples, which you will then use to create your own take on this strange, yet fun, old tune.

You will chop, splice, filter, phase, eq, squeeze, stretch, tune, detune, and distort your samples to the delight of neighbors to create your own drum kit, bass, synths, lead, and whatever else your heart desires to make a track that is your very own. 

Your version must resemble the original (to the extent that there is some clue that you didn't just write a brand new song) and must use samples that you have created yourself from the original recording. You are also free to record your own instrumentation, vocals, and rearrange the song however you like; though, this is not a cover song challenge.

This can be done in any style you like. From electronic to rock and roll. We're not fussy, just jump in and have a go!

The Rules

A challenge is not a challenge without some ground rules.

• Your track must be titled "Kickin' Mule Remix"
  • Your track must be creative and original, but should still bear some resemblance to the original song
  • You must use samples created by you or your collaborators from the provided recording
  • In the project description, briefly summarize what you have done to create such a master piece. Tell us what your process was
  • You may not use any other samples/song/recording. However, you can create and use your own original samples if needed
  • You must create and use original cover art (no, we are not limiting your coloring palette!)

How to Enter:

Once you create your challenge project, go to the ‘Project Settings’ on your project page.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.  You’ll see ‘ProCollabs Challenge’ – just click the down arrow and choose which challenge you’re entering, and 'Save'. That’s it; you’re ready to go!

This is a challenge not a competition and everyone who participates will receive a prize, as follows:

1. Projects with 3 or more collaborators will receive a $10.00 credit and a Remix Challenge badge.
  2. Projects with 2 collaborators will receive a $5.00 credit and a Remix Challenge badge.
  3. A solo effort will receive a Remix Challenge badge.
  4. Please observe the deadline. Late entries will receive a Remix Challenge badge only. 

The whole idea behind these challenges is to have fun, of course.  But, it’s also a way to encourage ‘collaborating’.   So reach out to other members, send invites, and ‘pimp your project’ to get others involved. 

Download the Original Recording

Download the original recording of Kickin' Mule (1941) from the Library of Congress. Use this to create your samples.

https://www.loc.gov/item/toddbib000352/

Credit in your Project

In the description, you MUST include the following text:

1941/09/02, Public Domain, Todd, C. L., Sonkin, R. & Visalia Fsa Camp. (1941) Kickin' Mule. Song, Visalia FSA Camp, September 2. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/toddbib000352/.

In addition, you will add the reference to this track in the project settings under the "Derivative Works" section.

Deadline

The deadline for entry is May 1st, 12.00 am EST.

Enteries so far..

Hear a project you like? Contact the pm and jump in! 

--- 

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Sat 02 Feb, 2019

So uhhh is there a way to get seps for this or something like that?? Not really sure how to "sample" a song....

#3792 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 11:37 am

So uhhh is there a way to get seps for this or something like that?? Not really sure how to "sample" a song....

Originally posted by AliceMinguez on Tue 05 Feb, 2019

Haha. You and me both!

No, no seps. You take/create your samples from the original track. A sample could be a short nano-second of sound or a whole section. Depends what and how you want to use it in your track. Seems to me that processing is king.

Check out the posted video and others on youtube that give a little insight on how producers approach this. It's clever and creative stuff. Good luck!

#3793 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 11:53 am

Haha. You and me both!

No, no seps. You take/create your samples from the original track. A sample could be a short nano-second of sound or a whole section. Depends what and how you want to use it in your track. Seems to me that processing is king.

Check out the posted video and others on youtube that give a little insight on how producers approach this. It's clever and creative stuff. Good luck!

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Tue 05 Feb, 2019

Thanks!!

#3794 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 12:03 pm

Originally posted by neptunedexperiment on Tue 05 Feb, 2019

I am not a ProCollabs member, so I can not use it. But somebody will certainly download it.
Nice work :-)
#3795 Posted Tue 05 Feb, 2019 1:03 pm
Do all the drums have to be created from the original song?
#3799 Posted Fri 08 Feb, 2019 5:14 pm
Do all the drums have to be created from the original song?

Originally posted by kimberh on Fri 08 Feb, 2019

Nope. You can use anything you want. 

#3800 Posted Fri 08 Feb, 2019 9:49 pm
1 2 

Forums > Community Challenges > REMIX Challenge Kickin' MulePage 2 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up