Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > ProCollabs 2018 Summer Song Challenge!

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thank you! Well done to all!
#3525 Posted Thu 16 Aug, 2018 12:42 am
It's always nice to get credits for these challenges. Thanks guys. But the truth is that I'm motivated by them. Although I don't have much time, I still find time when someone's depending on me for it. I can't wait until the next
#3536 Posted Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:00 pm
Thank you, everyone! We really appreciate you guys & enjoy listening to all the different songs that stem from these challenges. I believe Drew is already brewing up some ideas for the next one.

By the way, if anyone has ideas for a future challenge, please feel free to let us know!
#3537 Posted Mon 20 Aug, 2018 5:18 pm
Thank you, everyone! We really appreciate you guys & enjoy listening to all the different songs that stem from these challenges. I believe Drew is already brewing up some ideas for the next one. By the way, if anyone has ideas for a future challenge, please feel free to let us know!

Originally posted by RAVEN on Mon 20 Aug, 2018

I have an idea, I've always wanted to see how many keys you can sing in. Imagine a song that modulates at least 4 times and you Miss Birdy Bum must reach up higher and higher............................Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

It would be like The Voice on Steroids.

The competition would be for people to write said tune to said parameters with the reward being VB chooses your song to sing a vocal cresendo like no other before.

#3540 Posted Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:20 pm

I have an idea, I've always wanted to see how many keys you can sing in. Imagine a song that modulates at least 4 times and you Miss Birdy Bum must reach up higher and higher............................Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

It would be like The Voice on Steroids.

The competition would be for people to write said tune to said parameters with the reward being VB chooses your song to sing a vocal cresendo like no other before.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Mon 20 Aug, 2018

Haha, where do you come up with this stuff?   Imagine poor widdle Wingo's ears? 

#3541 Posted Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:38 pm
The Three Minstrels project with Andrew and Joe was seemingly born out of song challenges and it was a lot of fun. Maybe someone would mention the band Cream and the next thing you know, we're trying to write something inspired by Cream, yet still original. One thing I learned was that some people (aka Andrew) are incredibly fast in their creative process and can hit the mark seemingly every single time. The last challenge idea I came up with was a Gary Numan tribute, yet requiring all original compositions. That was a lot of fun.

What inspires me is a challenge that pushes me out of comfort zones. As a composer for podcasts, the requirements might be to write something inspired by traditional Celtic music or a period-esque piece based on something from the Victorian Era. I like to suggest that people consider writing songs in a key/mode they don't normally use, avoid the standard time signature of 4/4 and tempo of 120 bpm, skip stereotypical drum patterns and lyrics. It doesn't have to be "difficult listening" compositions from the world of avant garde or musique concrète, rather, just something they wouldn't normally create. You learn, grow, and create something special along the way. Sure, it may turn out poorly on your first effort, but the more you experiment, the better you get at it.

Maybe that could be part of the rules to another songwriting challenge. No 120 bpm, no 4/4 time signature, nothing in the key of C major/minor, and no love songs. :D
#3544 Posted Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:05 am
The Three Minstrels project with Andrew and Joe was seemingly born out of song challenges and it was a lot of fun. Maybe someone would mention the band Cream and the next thing you know, we're trying to write something inspired by Cream, yet still original. One thing I learned was that some people (aka Andrew) are incredibly fast in their creative process and can hit the mark seemingly every single time. The last challenge idea I came up with was a Gary Numan tribute, yet requiring all original compositions. That was a lot of fun. What inspires me is a challenge that pushes me out of comfort zones. As a composer for podcasts, the requirements might be to write something inspired by traditional Celtic music or a period-esque piece based on something from the Victorian Era. I like to suggest that people consider writing songs in a key/mode they don't normally use, avoid the standard time signature of 4/4 and tempo of 120 bpm, skip stereotypical drum patterns and lyrics. It doesn't have to be "difficult listening" compositions from the world of avant garde or musique concrète, rather, just something they wouldn't normally create. You learn, grow, and create something special along the way. Sure, it may turn out poorly on your first effort, but the more you experiment, the better you get at it. Maybe that could be part of the rules to another songwriting challenge. No 120 bpm, no 4/4 time signature, nothing in the key of C major/minor, and no love songs. :D

Originally posted by Astronut on Tue 21 Aug, 2018

I second this idea!

Somewhat related idea: recently I took part in a challenge where every project had to use the same predetermined chord progression & tempo...but the rest was up to you. It was fun to see all of the different songs that resulted!

#3545 Posted Tue 21 Aug, 2018 11:33 am
The Three Minstrels project with Andrew and Joe was seemingly born out of song challenges and it was a lot of fun. Maybe someone would mention the band Cream and the next thing you know, we're trying to write something inspired by Cream, yet still original. One thing I learned was that some people (aka Andrew) are incredibly fast in their creative process and can hit the mark seemingly every single time. The last challenge idea I came up with was a Gary Numan tribute, yet requiring all original compositions. That was a lot of fun. What inspires me is a challenge that pushes me out of comfort zones. As a composer for podcasts, the requirements might be to write something inspired by traditional Celtic music or a period-esque piece based on something from the Victorian Era. I like to suggest that people consider writing songs in a key/mode they don't normally use, avoid the standard time signature of 4/4 and tempo of 120 bpm, skip stereotypical drum patterns and lyrics. It doesn't have to be "difficult listening" compositions from the world of avant garde or musique concrète, rather, just something they wouldn't normally create. You learn, grow, and create something special along the way. Sure, it may turn out poorly on your first effort, but the more you experiment, the better you get at it. Maybe that could be part of the rules to another songwriting challenge. No 120 bpm, no 4/4 time signature, nothing in the key of C major/minor, and no love songs. :D

Originally posted by Astronut on Tue 21 Aug, 2018

I like that idea a lot.  So would the challenge have a theme, or would participants just come up with their own theme, genre, etc?  The rules would be ‘anything goes’ with the exception of 120bpm, 4/4 time signature, & the key of C major/minor.  I guess we’d have to figure out how to word it without scaring people off.  ;)

I didn’t know what musique concrète was, so had to Google it.  It’s interestingly strange.  I watched this video (below) and honestly, I had a really hard time getting through the entire piece.  I kept having to stop it, yet was so intrigued, that I continued to listen.  Hard to explain, but it definitely messed with my mind a bit. 

Then I found this other video, actually explaining it.  It’s pretty interesting how he created all those weird sounds. 

#3546 Posted Tue 21 Aug, 2018 2:10 pm

I second this idea!

Somewhat related idea: recently I took part in a challenge where every project had to use the same predetermined chord progression & tempo...but the rest was up to you. It was fun to see all of the different songs that resulted!

Originally posted by AliceMinguez on Tue 21 Aug, 2018

I like your idea as well, Alice.  I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next challenge.  :)

#3547 Posted Tue 21 Aug, 2018 2:12 pm
How about this for use one day? Each song entry must have at least one instrument that is homemade. I'm talking about using glasses of water, cups, cardboard boxes, pieces of wood, cans, spoons, handmade instruments, whatever ..........
Did you know that a piece of plywood was used in "We will rock you" by Queen? I'm going to try this next time regardless
#3548 Posted Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:05 pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forums > Community Challenges > ProCollabs 2018 Summer Song Challenge!Page 7 of 9

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up