Music Forums

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2 3 4 
Oh yeah, we are two peas in a pod! He's the one who brought me here, & I can't thank him enough! We even live in the same state, & we've never met!
#2307 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 3:22 pm
Thank you everyone who has responded so far - if you haven't got round to it yet, please do - I really want to hear from you.

We've had some great suggestions, I've pulled out some of them that could potentially form our first challenge. Then we can use the others for the next one.

Potential overall theme: Think like Bowie

Use the Cut-Out method from a selection of supplied words to form at least one verse of the lyrics. Drew, I'm thinking you could supply the words here?
We allow individuals to enter on their own, if they choose to.
We don't specifically pick a winner - I'm thinking maybe it is an organic process of which track gets the most plays and tops the ProCollabs playlist (possibly by the most unique plays) then they get some sort of recognition (or even prize). Usually the best tracks get the most unique plays..........after all, we decide as we are the listeners.
If we get enough tracks we consider putting them out as an album, we could use BandCamp or SoundCloud, with a charitable twist if there is an appetite for it.

Basically, this would be about being innovative, maybe reinventing yourself, not being afraid to try something different. Or just do what you do best.

There would be no fixed genre.

How's this for some initial thoughts?
#2308 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 4:25 pm
Please explain the cut-up method a bit more. Do all the words from the supplied paragraph have to be used or just some? Will they be "Bowie-esc" words from various songs or ideas relating to his songs?
#2309 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 6:00 pm
I would think that there is no specific rules or requirements to using the technique. The more words used from the 'seed text' the better I would say. There should be some criteria though. Using only 2 words of 100 potential would not be using the technique fairly. I would think that it's almost impossible not to change the form or tense of a word in some cases in order to form a tangible idea. I think that little changes like "thing" to "things" or "lock" to locked" just make something rhythm would be acceptable right?
Consider this paragraph from Stephen King and form your lyrics from these words:

“The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them — words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they’re brought out. But it’s more than that, isn’t it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you’ve said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That’s the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for want of an understanding ear.”

Or perhaps use a famous poem like "all the worlds a stage- Shakespeare. Just some ideas..
Or how about only using words contained within this thread?
Or use a list of every song tittle ever written (a-z) from Bowie.
#2310 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 8:27 pm
Let s go back to the beggining of music to this day.Lets go back when the street light was the spotlight and the
sidewalk was the stage.Before Elvis,The Beatles etc. Lets go back to the beggining of time,something that
was borrowed from said artist,doo wop and the original Rock &Rock,Anybody up for it?My father always told me that the 50's,60's,70's will always be the heart beat and the soul of todays music.......he was right.
#2311 Posted Tue 02 May, 2017 8:54 pm
So do we have a challenge and some parameters? or is his forthcoming?
#2312 Posted Thu 04 May, 2017 7:47 am
Hey V1ctor, sorry I've been away for a couple of days :)

Yes we have a challenge and thanks for the suggestions for the basis of what we could use for the lyrics, I like the Stephen King pargraph - what book was that from?

The final parameters will be forthcoming, but I think we have the fundamental outline now, I'll sort out the details and post on Saturday :)

@DonWeismantel, I'll explain further when I put up the details for the challenge.

Hey Morgan, I think that's a cool idea and we can use 50s, 60s, 70s to shape the next challenge, thanks for the suggestion :)

Watch this space :)
#2313 Posted Thu 04 May, 2017 5:30 pm
Hey V1ctor, sorry I've been away for a couple of days :) Yes we have a challenge and thanks for the suggestions for the basis of what we could use for the lyrics, I like the Stephen King pargraph - what book was that from? The final parameters will be forthcoming, but I think we have the fundamental outline now, I'll sort out the details and post on Saturday :) @DonWeismantel, I'll explain further when I put up the details for the challenge. Hey Morgan, I think that's a cool idea and we can use 50s, 60s, 70s to shape the next challenge, thanks for the suggestion :) Watch this space :)

Originally posted by Vuya on Thu 04 May, 2017

Vuya, It's a self quote from Different Seasons. There were some short stories in that one. This was a quote from "The Body".
Don, here's a video of Bowie speaking about the cut up technique - https://youtu.be/m1InCrzGIPU
#2314 Posted Fri 05 May, 2017 9:43 am
1 2 3 4 

Forums > Community Challenges > Are you up for a challenge?Page 4 of 4

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up