Music Forums

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Recording Hacks.com

No politics. No religion. It's all about the music, people! So keep it clean, polite, and be sure to read our Community Guidelines before posting in the forum.

1 2

Just sharing a site I came across in my internut travels, it has some great information on microphones from how to start your mic locker and reording techniques and demos of them.

here is their blog on mic locker

The idea, in a nutshell, is that engineers can intelligently build up a mic collection by paying attention to a couple key characteristics of the various choices they’re considering. Nobody wants to buy three mics that all sound substantially the same, right? With a couple minutes’ education (which unfortunately I spent an hour trying to deliver — please bear with this first draft attempt!), any audio engineer or studio owner can quickly classify microphones into a handful of sonic categories. If all the mics you own sit in one or two categories, you’ll need to pick something different next time out. This presentation helps you do that.

http://recordinghacks.com/2017/12/31/how-to-build-your-mic-locker-part-i/

Here's another blog on overhead mic techniques for drums

You have two microphones and two hours. How many ways can you mike a drum kit?

I had a good idea of my choices, but I wanted to hear them all together so I would know what works in my room. It’s no different from getting to know your own mic locker; each stereo mic placement technique is a tool, and like any tool it is only useful if you know how to use it.

I made a list of seven stereo mic techniques for drum recording, then recorded myself playing the same thing on the same drums in the same room, as heard through the same pair of microphones — in seven different configurations. Following is a detailed comparison of Spaced Pair (omni and cardioid), Coincident Pair (omni and cardioid), ORTF, Mid-Side and “Recorderman.”

http://recordinghacks.com/2010/04/03/drum-overhead-microphone-technique-comparison/

Still exploring this site myself, It seems very well laid out so  far, I'd be interested to hear your finds.

#3739 Posted Sat 22 Dec, 2018 6:47 pm

Just sharing a site I came across in my internut travels, it has some great information on microphones from how to start your mic locker and reording techniques and demos of them.

here is their blog on mic locker

The idea, in a nutshell, is that engineers can intelligently build up a mic collection by paying attention to a couple key characteristics of the various choices they’re considering. Nobody wants to buy three mics that all sound substantially the same, right? With a couple minutes’ education (which unfortunately I spent an hour trying to deliver — please bear with this first draft attempt!), any audio engineer or studio owner can quickly classify microphones into a handful of sonic categories. If all the mics you own sit in one or two categories, you’ll need to pick something different next time out. This presentation helps you do that.

http://recordinghacks.com/2017/12/31/how-to-build-your-mic-locker-part-i/

Here's another blog on overhead mic techniques for drums

You have two microphones and two hours. How many ways can you mike a drum kit?

I had a good idea of my choices, but I wanted to hear them all together so I would know what works in my room. It’s no different from getting to know your own mic locker; each stereo mic placement technique is a tool, and like any tool it is only useful if you know how to use it.

I made a list of seven stereo mic techniques for drum recording, then recorded myself playing the same thing on the same drums in the same room, as heard through the same pair of microphones — in seven different configurations. Following is a detailed comparison of Spaced Pair (omni and cardioid), Coincident Pair (omni and cardioid), ORTF, Mid-Side and “Recorderman.”

http://recordinghacks.com/2010/04/03/drum-overhead-microphone-technique-comparison/

Still exploring this site myself, It seems very well laid out so  far, I'd be interested to hear your finds.

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Sat 22 Dec, 2018

Cool beans, thanks for sharing this Mr. BB.  :)

#3742 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2018 12:49 am
Just as I think I am ready for the big wide world, I find myself back at school for another year. Thanks, Andrew!
#3744 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2018 5:12 am
It was that very article on overhead mics that prompted me to experiment, too! :) Recorderman worked really well. In the end (and quite a few years later), I now prefer the Steve Albini technique of putting the Oktava mk-o12 mics on the floor at the other end of the room. It softens the harsh tones a bit, adds to the room effect, and captures a decent picture of the drums. Thanks for the reminder about the site, Andrew!
#3746 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2018 1:27 pm
Just as I think I am ready for the big wide world, I find myself back at school for another year. Thanks, Andrew!

Originally posted by MonkeyC on Sun 23 Dec, 2018

The never ending journey, huh!

#3747 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2018 7:10 pm
It was that very article on overhead mics that prompted me to experiment, too! :) Recorderman worked really well. In the end (and quite a few years later), I now prefer the Steve Albini technique of putting the Oktava mk-o12 mics on the floor at the other end of the room. It softens the harsh tones a bit, adds to the room effect, and captures a decent picture of the drums. Thanks for the reminder about the site, Andrew!

Originally posted by Astronut on Sun 23 Dec, 2018

Yep that's exactly where I headed, the recorder man technique, nice to know you followed that route Kev. When I listened to the OHs one after the after it immediatly brought forth the sound I felt I needed for my small room. I trialed it yesterday and went from having my OHs buried and filtered up to 400Hz to bringing them up on the faders to infinity gain  and much less flitering. The low end is now more focused, but now I have a whole new set of learning curves. Just changing the OHs have changed my drum mix and my total song mixes. I do so much wrong it's hard for me to learn from these sort of sites, my room is no studio and I monitor on 70s speakers whilst sitting in the middle and sort of behind them. Not to mention I have it all in the corner of the room, all done as the ignorant musician more concerned with playing than the recording result, I just wanted to get it done and of course compromise is the key to invention.

So I now must spend more countless hours trying this and trying that, as Lee says, back to school again. In the end there is no right and wrong, only results and that I never seem to be able to do for my own ear but for some reason i keep getting up and heading back in for more punishment :)

#3748 Posted Sun 23 Dec, 2018 7:23 pm

Yep that's exactly where I headed, the recorder man technique, nice to know you followed that route Kev. When I listened to the OHs one after the after it immediatly brought forth the sound I felt I needed for my small room. I trialed it yesterday and went from having my OHs buried and filtered up to 400Hz to bringing them up on the faders to infinity gain  and much less flitering. The low end is now more focused, but now I have a whole new set of learning curves. Just changing the OHs have changed my drum mix and my total song mixes. I do so much wrong it's hard for me to learn from these sort of sites, my room is no studio and I monitor on 70s speakers whilst sitting in the middle and sort of behind them. Not to mention I have it all in the corner of the room, all done as the ignorant musician more concerned with playing than the recording result, I just wanted to get it done and of course compromise is the key to invention.

So I now must spend more countless hours trying this and trying that, as Lee says, back to school again. In the end there is no right and wrong, only results and that I never seem to be able to do for my own ear but for some reason i keep getting up and heading back in for more punishment :)

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Sun 23 Dec, 2018

haha! I understand! It's a fun challenge, but it can be a bit maddening on every change you make. One thing I suggest is to document the changes so you can recall what happened and build templates to accommodate the sounds/styles you might prefer down the road. I didn't document things very well and find myself struggling to remember what worked, how it worked, the changes it caused, and the results. Photos and notes! :)

Keep hammering away at it. Maybe some day we might figure out what we are doing! haha...I should speak for myself really. I have no idea what all of these buttons do, where all of these wires go, and "what's it all about, Alfie!" :D

#3749 Posted Mon 24 Dec, 2018 10:18 am

haha! I understand! It's a fun challenge, but it can be a bit maddening on every change you make. One thing I suggest is to document the changes so you can recall what happened and build templates to accommodate the sounds/styles you might prefer down the road. I didn't document things very well and find myself struggling to remember what worked, how it worked, the changes it caused, and the results. Photos and notes! :)

Keep hammering away at it. Maybe some day we might figure out what we are doing! haha...I should speak for myself really. I have no idea what all of these buttons do, where all of these wires go, and "what's it all about, Alfie!" :D

Originally posted by Astronut on Mon 24 Dec, 2018

Yes great advice, take notes, the hard part is doing so after fooling around with everything for hours and days :)

Templates are a God send although they will mostly only work for your own situation and room, hey. I have one for you so I can f..uck your sound up with no effort at all :)

#3750 Posted Wed 26 Dec, 2018 2:00 am

Yes great advice, take notes, the hard part is doing so after fooling around with everything for hours and days :)

Templates are a God send although they will mostly only work for your own situation and room, hey. I have one for you so I can f..uck your sound up with no effort at all :)

Originally posted by GoodVibes on Wed 26 Dec, 2018

That's funny, because I also happen to have a lot of templates that do just that very thing, too! :D

#3751 Posted Wed 26 Dec, 2018 1:44 pm

That's funny, because I also happen to have a lot of templates that do just that very thing, too! :D

Originally posted by Astronut on Wed 26 Dec, 2018

surprised

#3753 Posted Sat 29 Dec, 2018 5:27 am
1 2

Forums > Audio Engineering, Mixing and Mastering > Recording Hacks.comPage 1 of 2

Sign-up to reply or leave a comment

Member Sign in

Forgotten Password

Not a member? Sign up